Re: Roughing It on a Tren de Carga
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 02-09-2023 - 22:17

Tom H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great memories DB. I did the Puerto Penasco trip in the 80’s. Came back to the train mid layover, with an ice chest of shrimp. The car was full of rats leaping seat to seat enjoying snacks that the passengers had left behind.

You should have photo-documented the rats doing their thing! I don't recall ever seeing rats on Mexican trains but I do remember seeing mice on Amtrak Amfleet cars.

I remember they used to sell booze on those trips in the lounge car Mexicali Rose and, combined with what was consumed in Puerto Penasco, some of the passengers were pretty wasted by the time we got back to Mexicali. One guy got a little too mouthy and obnoxious with a couple of Federales and we saw him being led away. Maybe he's still down there, singing a variation of that song by the Kingston Trio:

We went one day about a month ago to have a little fun in Mexico.
We ended up in a railfan spot where the liquor flowed and the babes were hot.
So, here we are in the Mexicali jail. Ain't got no friends to post our bail.
So, here we'll stay 'cause we can't pay. Just send our mail to the Mexicali jail.
I was selling builders plates, raking in the dough and then I heard the whistle blow.
We started to run when a man in blue said, "Senor, come with me 'cause I want you."
So, here we'll stay 'cause we can't pay. Just send our mail to the Mexicali jail.
Just five hundred dollars and they'll set us free. I couldn't raise a penny if they threatened me.
I know five hundred don't sound like much, but just try to find somebody to touch.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred-ninety-eighth Installment D. B. Arthur 02-09-2023 - 11:21
  Longtime Friends D. B. Arthur 02-09-2023 - 11:25
  Re: Longtime Friends George Andrews 02-09-2023 - 17:20
  Time Flies D. B. Arthur 02-09-2023 - 11:27
  Roughing It on a Tren de Carga D. B. Arthur 02-09-2023 - 11:41
  Re: Roughing It on a Tren de Carga Tom H 02-09-2023 - 19:27
  Re: Roughing It on a Tren de Carga D. B. Arthur 02-09-2023 - 22:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com