Re: Found on Flickr Possibly? The SD-7's are renumbered... My eyes are getting old...
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-30-2023 - 17:04

Chris Walker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not quite Bob2;
> 1983 Sept 25, according to the photographer.
> With these "Found on Flickr" posts, the viewer can
> click on the image to be taken to the Photostream
> for additional information.
>
> I'm surprised you missed the 1514 there, it may
> not have been clear on your screen display for
> whatever reason: that's what drew me to the image,
> as we had 1400/1500 G12's as our 60's-70's
> mainstay power on the North Island, and I get a
> kick out of seeing same up in NA, especially a
> highnose.
>
> What interested me as well was the crewing of the
> 2615 alongside. I guess that is a Switchman in
> the seat? odd place to be driving from.
>
> Appreciate the history writeup, most interesting,
> thank you.
>
>
> Chris
> in New Zealand

Full crews, with 3 man switch crews, with crewman sitting in the second unit.

SD-7's were back to back configuration, and so that is probably a hauler, as it is a pm shot, possibly the PM shift LA Jct. hauler, or the ATSF hauler, both "quit jobs" if you got right out with the transfer. The I'm surprised at that date still, due to the level of activity. My eyes are getting old, I had to blow this thing up, but you're right that is a renumbered SD-7R 1514 which does put is after the number change in the very late 70's/early 80's.

I'm thinking that complete shutdown of all yard jobs in Taylore finally occurred after the 84 Olympics, by summer of 85 we mostly went over from the Shops to drop off or pick ups empty pigs.

I ran the 'sSD-7 probably as late as maybe 82-83 off on OT off of my regular job at the Shops with the 1500 numbering on jobs like the top end of A yard.

I held the afternoon hump regular when they were doing the "rebuilds" around the end of the 70's into sometime in 1981 off and on, while I was going to Uni in my spare time during the day, some even had new "builders plates" someone had made for them at the Sacramento Shops. Hump units and SD-7's used for things like pull downs were configured going the same direction "nose to tail".

I worked the LA Jct. hauler an afternoon job when I could, as I took classes during the day, and this job was great because you could be tied up sometimes in under 4 hours. I also held the ATSF pm shift hauler, which was a "dog" before I got on it, when BNSF's famous dispatcher CQP was working Redondo Tower. When instead of stiffing us all night with reds, at Redondo on the pretext of protecting Amtrak from delay, I got a high green, which shocked the hell out of my crew, as with CQP in the tower it too became quit job, at least when I was working it...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Found on Flickr. Chris Walker 12-29-2023 - 14:04
  Re: Found on Flickr. Misterotwer 12-29-2023 - 17:13
  Re: Found on Flickr Not 1985, earlier than the renumbering of the SD-7's... BOB2 12-29-2023 - 22:50
  Re: Found on Flickr... QQ 12-30-2023 - 09:16
  Re: Found on Flickr... Taylor? Why? And what's left today.... BOB2 12-30-2023 - 10:08
  Re: Found on Flickr... Taylor? Why? And what's left today.... GRD 12-30-2023 - 13:06
  Re: Found on Flickr... Taylor? Why? And what's left today.... rail fan 12-30-2023 - 13:14
  Re: Found on Flickr Not 1985, earlier than the renumbering of the SD-7's... Chris Walker 12-30-2023 - 14:18
  Re: Found on Flickr Possibly? The SD-7's are renumbered... My eyes are getting old... BOB2 12-30-2023 - 17:04

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com