Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides.
Author: Alfred Doten
Date: 04-26-2009 - 10:14

Having been a park manager I can truthfully say that cancelling events or programs that have popularity is a tactic used by both state and NPS to garner support when times are tough. No money for the top brass to play with and other things down the food chain suffer. Often its a seasonal or level one law enforecemnt person who gets assigned to police these things and they are in short supply these days, especially on weekends. If I were park management I would be there to see stuff like steamups happened, trade days off or do comp-time. But that's just me. Management doesn't like to be seen out front too often because it sends other signals like "you might be dedicated" or "you're not helping us." But, times are tough. Seems DPR could MOU with City of Eureka for things like this? NPS and DPR do when its to their advantage.

That being said.......this could be a blessing in disguise for THA. The Fort steamups have happened for 30 years and the situation there is stagnet. The state wants logging and steam out of the Fort anyway. The two mile speeder rides THA has planned should at least attract attention to their Samoa move and hopefully the novelty will take some time to wear off. Back and forth, back and forth at the Fort, even though steam, gets old after a few decades.

One would hope both Falk and Gypsy get nominated for National Register status, if they haven't been already. Believe they are two of less than a dozen locos of that age still steamable.
ARD

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Alfred Doten 04-25-2009 - 15:05
  Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Jeff Moore 04-25-2009 - 19:35
  Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Tom Moungovan 04-25-2009 - 20:50
  Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Capdiamont 04-26-2009 - 08:03
  Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Alfred Doten 04-26-2009 - 10:14
  Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Jeff Moore 04-26-2009 - 12:25
  Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Capdiamont 04-26-2009 - 13:21
  Re: Steam Down; No More Fort Humboldt Train Rides. Jeff Moore 04-26-2009 - 14:03

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com