Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment
Author: George Andrews
Date: 03-31-2024 - 05:38

As luck would have it, my only ride on the Rio Grande Zephyr would be Westbound on April 14th, 1983. Surprisingly, even at this late date in the history of RGZ, few passengers rode West of Grand Junction; those of us that did received a BIG surprise April 16th in Salt Lake City when we were told of the Thistle Mudslide the evening before. A few SLC railfans bought one way tickets for the detour back to Denver via " SCENIC " ( ??? ) Sherman Hill on Union Pacific. The dining car ran out of most food items due to this detour, as Rio Grande's only commissary was in Grand Junction.
Since my round trip began with Amtrak's Desert Wind from Fullerton, CA., I was therefore sentenced to THREE rides over Sherman Hill in one week. Thus I have still not experienced the ride DOWN the Front Range to Denver.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment D. B. Arthur 03-30-2024 - 00:50
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment Chris Walker 03-30-2024 - 04:01
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment D. B. Arthur 03-30-2024 - 07:17
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment RA Phillips 03-30-2024 - 07:40
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment GRD 03-30-2024 - 11:13
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment RMG 03-30-2024 - 11:56
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment Mistertower 03-30-2024 - 17:05
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-fiftieth Installment George Andrews 03-31-2024 - 05:38

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com