Am I the only one who thinks a Monterey bus rapid transit line is more important than a handcar ride for rich tourists?
Author: Real transit, real change
Date: 04-27-2024 - 17:06

I respect what Todd has done with the handcar ride. Hard work and an impressive success. A nice story. I hope it and the BRT can coexist.

But a bus rapid transit line is more beneficial. Much more beneficial. Carrying needed workers from barely affordable housing to jobs in an expensive area. With a more reliable schedule that separate transit ROW can provide. Saving workers gas money and less maintenance costs a year.

He says it is really about creating high density housing. Housing shortages and unaffordability were the state's biggest problems! Until the self-created crime crisis. Even if these new apartment blocks are market rate and unaffordable to the workers, a precentage will by law be set aside at low rates for worker incomes. The added inventory will reduce price pressure in nearby "affordable" towns like Salinas. Keeping them available for the working class.

If the BRT runs to Salinas or Castroville or Watsonville it can connect to passenger trains. Feeding riders to the aquarium and many more local stops than an Amtrak trian could. light rail would be better than Amtrak. But BRT can be feed by multiple bus routes using city streets for the final mile. Better than LRT.

I read it as the BRT would only wipe out the existing track in a short segment. Can the handcar ride convince the project to widen the ROW to accomodate both?

Isn't he a government urban planner? He knows all this. He knows BRT serves a broader range of classes than a $140 and hour pleasure ride. This is the one-party corrupt "Rules are whatever we define it" Leftist government he voted for. He was extra mouthy against the GOP after he caught the China Flu. Hey bud, your fellow Dems Fauci and Daszak partnered with China to develop Covid years before 2020. Should blame them for partnering with an untrustworthy enemy, the GOP didn't give u Covid. They tried to immediately shut the borders and u guys called them racist and said to go party for the China New Year.

I hope the Cal Coastal Commission let's the BRT be built. More transit and much more housing is needed. High density housing within walking distance is a good thing. Even if the majority of residents won't use the transit. Some will.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Am I the only one who thinks a Monterey bus rapid transit line is more important than a handcar ride for rich tourists? Real transit, real change 04-27-2024 - 17:06
  Re: Am I the only one who thinks a Monterey bus rapid transit line is more important than...? Yep, BRT is mostly nonsense and wishful thinking, especially in a place like that. BOB2 04-28-2024 - 00:11
  Re: Am I the only one who thinks a Monterey bus rapid transit line is more important than...? Yep, BRT is mostly nonsense and wishful thinking, especially in a place like that. FUD 04-28-2024 - 17:00
  Re: Am I the only one who thinks a Monterey bus rapid transit line is more important than...? Yep, BRT is mostly nonsense and wishful thinking, especially in a place where an HOV lane might make more sense....? BOB2 04-28-2024 - 20:00
  Re: Am I the only one who thinks a Monterey bus rapid transit line is more important than...? Yep, BRT is mostly nonsense and wishful thinking, especially in a place where an HOV lane might make more sense....? FUD 04-29-2024 - 07:48
  BRT/BRT-HOV mostly nonsense? Facts say otherwise.& what about the housing component? Good when trolleys did it a century ago, when Brightline is doing it, but bad when a Monterey does same? Real transit, real change 04-29-2024 - 15:47
  Re: BRT/BRT-HOV mostly nonsense? Facts say otherwise.& what about the housing component? Good when trolleys did it a century ago, when Brightline is doing it, but bad when a Monterey does same?-And the kitchen sink, too...? What facts? BOB2 04-29-2024 - 20:38
  HRC SOLUTION MAN 05-02-2024 - 14:02

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com