Re: "Tommy Thompson Railway Trestle Burns"
Author: MCL
Date: 10-16-2009 - 17:56

If I'm not mistaken I believe this trestle is former BN (GN)line across Fidalgo(?) bay. I think it the line used to serve a plywood mill in Anacortes proper until it burned several years ago (I want to say sometime in the early '90s). The line now ends just prior to the west of the trestle, at the site of a large (and active) refinery. The remaining part of the branch seems to be quite active, especially at the refinery where there always seems to be a long string of tank cars.

The "mini" railroad didn't actually cross the trestle (that I know of). The operator (who passed away some earlier this decade) did expand his small railroad onto the former
BN ROW after it was abandoned. I think it's still there, but I don't know if anyone is running it.

My (now) wife and I walked across this (LOOOONG) trestle just last October. It was a great walk. I have a hard time thinking that it WASN'T arson that started the fire.

Cheers,

Mike

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "Tommy Thompson Railway Trestle Burns" Key Route Ken 10-16-2009 - 16:05
  Re: "Tommy Thompson Railway Trestle Burns" Steve Thompson (no relation) 10-16-2009 - 16:37
  Re: "Tommy Thompson Railway Trestle Burns" MCL 10-16-2009 - 17:56
  Re: "Tommy Thompson Railway Trestle Burns" BobH 10-23-2009 - 08:18
  Re: "Tommy Thompson Railway Trestle Burns" Jim 10-16-2009 - 18:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com