Slide scanner alternative
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 11-14-2009 - 17:30

I think I may have an idea that may give longevity to the ability to scan slides for years to come without continually reinvesting in a new, expensive scanner every few years. And, I feel this is rail hobbiest/enthusiast related on account of the general appreciation and encouragement for seeing rail pictures posted here.

First, just a little background on my opinion (everyone has one!) on scanning slides: I try very hard to not spend money on software driven technology (digital equipment) due to its inherent nature of rapid obsolesecnce which invariably causes us to spend even more money. So, I pay the price for that by either trusting vintage Kodachrome slides of the Harbor Belt Line to a zit-faced high-tech youth who may scratch, lose or crimp said slide, or not sharing it digtially at all. After having a prized Scala slide scratched in said fashion, I've elected to conduct slide shows using my 'obsolete' equipment- and not being able to share digital archives.

Several years ago, I bought a Beseler Dual-Mode Dichroic slide duplicator for duplicating slides onto Kodak EDupe film. This is a fine machine, that has contrast and color (dichroic) enhancements without the use of gelatin/Wratten filters, and can duplicate under strobe or constant tungsten quartz-lamp lighting. It accepts any camera body provided the correct body adaptor is used, and incorporates a very nice Schneider lens. Most important, this unit has the holders/mounts/frames that can duplicate 35mm negatives, 2x2 35mm slides, 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 negatvies/transparencies as well as 645 and 6x7. It also has a light box for 4x5 negatives/transparencies. As you might have surmised, I'm really quite proud of this toy. Mine is equipped with the Canon FD mount, as all of my 35mm equipment is of that design.

Research has indicated to me that a high quality scanner with those scanning features is very hard to find and priced as such. And, most likely would require expensive software upgrades (if possible) within five years.

In the next few weeks, I intend to purchase an adaptor for either a Nikon or Canon digital body mount, and rent same body for a couple of days so as to see how well I can duplicte- and therefore "scan" -different formats and types of film into digital files. I'm really excited about the prospect of making available in digital format many PERy, AT&SF, SPTCo, UPRR and other vintage negatives and slides all varying from 620, 35mm, 4x5 126, and 2x2 size, etc. without investing a huge amount of money.

While the Beseler was probably top of the line in its day, it is no longer available and occasionally can be found for a relatively cheap price on a large ABayuction site. I also had at one time a Bowens Illumitrans 3S duplicator which was also a quality machine, but did not have the ability for anything larger than 35mm.

The only consumable/replacement parts of the Bowens or Beseler duplicators were the lamps, also easily found on auction sites. Because of this, and the fact it was built like a brick s**thouse, I find it will have far more longevity than anything software controlled. That it works perfectly now after having been made in 1992 is further testament.

While I admit that I probably have too much conventional equipment, and that I have been accused of being stubborn about film vs. digital, I hope to share with this group the results of a hopefully ecomonical and practical way of getting these pictures out of the filing cabinet for all to enjoy without being cornered into spending a lot of money on something that may or may not be fully functional in 5-7 years, or a $99 piece of crap that inflicts pain and suffering on the best of images. Stay tuned!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Slide scanner alternative Steven D. Johnson 11-14-2009 - 17:30
  Re: Slide scanner alternative Freericks 11-14-2009 - 17:55
  Re: Slide scanner alternative George Andrews 11-15-2009 - 11:35
  Re: Slide scanner alternative-Nikon Steven D. Johnson 11-15-2009 - 13:03
  Re: Slide scanner alternative-Nikon Al Stangenberger 11-16-2009 - 15:28
  Re: Slide scanner alternative-Nikon Roger E 11-18-2009 - 12:48

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com