Re: Cajon Pass Help
Author: Mike Stimpson
Date: 11-30-2009 - 09:11

First, and most important: Your wife is a treasure. She is worth more than a day trackside, even on Cajon. Be sensitive to how she's reacting. If she's really displeased, consider bailing out partway through the day. Yes, really. (I'm sure I'm going to get some heat for that statement, but I stand by it.)

Start here for where to go:
[www.trainweb.org]

My personal favorite places are Stein's Hill and The Knoll, but really, you can't go too far wrong most places in Cajon.

I hear that Blue Cut has become a homosexual pick-up spot. This might make for an uncomfortable environment to hang out in.

If you go over the hill and on to Barstow, there's still lots of trains (you lose the Palmdale Cutoff, but you pick up the BNSF San Fransisco line), but it's also kind of a tourist-trap town with lots of Route 66 nostalgia. Also, there are outlet malls. These may save your wife's sanity (at the price of your wallet).

Barstow has Casa del Desierto, which was the railroad station and Harvey House, and is now a museum (and Amtrak and Greyhound station).

Hesperia has the Mojave Narrows park (see [www.sbcounty.gov]). This is primarily a campground, but it can also be a picnic area, and it has a couple of (rather small) lakes. You can rent rowboats or paddle boats, and you can fish. And the tracks go right down one edge of the park. (This is just at the Victorville end of the Frost crossover.)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Cajon Pass Help MCL 11-29-2009 - 20:37
  Re: Cajon Pass Help Mike Stimpson 11-30-2009 - 09:11
  Re: Cajon Pass Help Freericks 11-30-2009 - 18:15
  Re: Cajon Pass Help Bruce Kelly 11-30-2009 - 21:21
  Re: Cajon Pass Help BOB2 12-01-2009 - 17:45
  Re: Cajon Pass Help MCL 12-01-2009 - 23:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com