Re: bare-knuckle trivia Grades/Ratings
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 02-09-2010 - 16:13

From the AAR Interchange Rules. The term Grade is used to desginate steel strength, with Grade H being the strongest, followed repsectively by E and C. I'm not aware of any other grades or component classes. Note the System Special Instructions indicates tonnage ratings on Mountain Grade Territory different for Grade C and Grade E couplers, this is due to thier respective strengths.

Coupler type would be indicated by design, as in "Coupler, Tightlock, Grade H components required. Other applied considered Why Made Code: WR (Wrong Repair)" This from the AAR manual and is also found under UMLER guidlines for billing purposes.

Note that field vernacular, while ingrained, often does not comply with the dry language of a tech. manual. No one in my craft, regardless of seniority, calls these by Grade. They all call them by type, as I would too over the radio should the unfortunate need arise. Many people also call the corner step a Stirrup, but it's really a Sill Step. Stirrups are found on saddles. Sometimes the carknocker craft I left follows me around.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP 15th Street Tacoma Martin Burwash 02-08-2010 - 20:06
  Re: UP 15th Street Tacoma George Andrews 02-08-2010 - 20:12
  Re: UP 15th Street Tacoma Steve Thompson 02-08-2010 - 20:39
  Re: bare-knuckle trivia Steven D. Johnson 02-08-2010 - 21:00
  knuckleless coupler d 02-09-2010 - 12:25
  Re: bare-knuckle trivia Rich 02-09-2010 - 13:32
  Re: bare-knuckle trivia Grades/Ratings Steven D. Johnson 02-09-2010 - 16:13
  Re: bare-knuckle trivia ex-BN 02-10-2010 - 13:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com