Questions for the So-Cal Fans
Author: JS
Date: 03-08-2010 - 23:19

So I posted the below on calrailfans but thought I should do the sme here, since not everyone frequents both sites. Thanks for anyone that can provide info!

"OK, as a lifelong Bay Area that is railfanning the LA Basin this week for only the second time ever, I have a couple of questions:

1) Why does UP predominantly use their old line in to LA instead of SP's? And the traffic on the SP is almost always westbound, but UP's line see's traffic in both directions. Is there a reason for this?

2) And speaking of the SP's line, it is called the Alhambra Sub I believe but I seem to be unable to find the correct frequency to use on my scanner. Anyone know what frequency I should use?

3) Lastly, the line running down the middle of Interstate 10 is SP's former State Street Line (I think). I have seen pictures of through pig traffic on this line in the 1980s, but it is Metrolink now. Does anyone know when SP stopped using this line for freight? (And I assume it is passenger only these days).

Forgive me for my ignorance about So-Cal railroading, but like I said, I am Nor-Cal based and fairly clueless when it comes to LA. Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide even partial info to my questions!

-James"

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Questions for the So-Cal Fans JS 03-08-2010 - 23:19
  Re: Questions for the So-Cal Fans BOB2 03-09-2010 - 07:33
  Re: Questions for the So-Cal Fans Mistertower 03-09-2010 - 11:41
  Re: Questions for the So-Cal Fans George Andrews 03-09-2010 - 12:35
  Re: Questions for the So-Cal Fans JS 03-09-2010 - 21:36
  Re: Questions for the So-Cal Fans Ken Ruben 03-11-2010 - 14:05
  Re: Questions for the So-Cal Fans JS 03-12-2010 - 11:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com