Re: Smokestack
Author: Tom Moungovan
Date: 06-29-2010 - 06:41

I'd like to add that the big spark arrestor stack seen on the Heisler was a gift from Hector Stone, then President of Hillcrest Lbr. Co. on Vancouver Island. I still have his letter.
The 10 left Pickering property in '59 or'60 without a stack and ran at Klamath from '68 through '71 with the straight stack off of Heisler 5, owned by the PLA. When PLA started putting the 5 back together in 1970, her stack was needed and arrangements were made to haul the big spark arrestor stack down to Klamath from Canada. Strangely, that stack did not fit
any of Hillcrest's geared locomotives...it came from nearby Western Industries who had leased one of their 80 ton Climaxes to Hillcrest in the 50's.
I'm told that the big stack finally rusted out while Heisler 10 was (and still is) on display in Elbe, WA and was replaced by another similar one.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Klamath & Hoppow Valley Railroad August 1972 Drew Jacksich 06-28-2010 - 22:59
  Re: Klamath & Hoppow Valley Railroad August 1972 Tom Moungovan 06-29-2010 - 06:24
  Re: Smokestack Tom Moungovan 06-29-2010 - 06:41
  Re: Klamath & Hoppow Valley Railroad August 1972 Goatboat 04-11-2017 - 15:47

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com