Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010?
Author: Anonymous
Date: 08-24-2010 - 08:25

Dustin Yates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rode in the ATSF Tolani on the way up to Portola
> on Friday. Was disappointed that 1983 wasn't
> there (rumored screwup was the involved parties
> forgot to turn the engine) and Tioga Pass didn't
> make it from southern California (Definitely an
> Amtrak screwup).

I would love to know the inside story on what happened here....particularly with Amtrak leaving the Tioga Pass behind. I can't imagine the steam coming out of people's ears on that one. That just seems like pure incompetence to me.

> I was nice and comfortable inside Tolani with the
> AC blasting though people in some of the domes
> were roasting in the sun. I don't know which cars
> were having the non functional A/C and if they
> ever fixed it.

Yes, this is one of my personal pet peeves about extremely expensive trips like this. I already knew in advance that the best seats in the house (the dome cars) would be hotter than hell up there. I'm not talking about the full-length domes, but the Zephyr-style of dome cars. When you pay THAT much money (over two thousand dollars for a 10 hour ride I think?), I would expect to be comfortable. And even at that price, the cars are FULL--every square inch of space is taken with passengers. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but I'm just saying that if a car holds 60 people, then 60 people (plus staff) will be there. For me, that's just too uncomfortable, especially when paying that type of dough. I just can't justify it. But apparently, I'm in the minority because the train was sold-out and carried around 500 paying passengers.

I also knew that since this was a very hardcore "foamer trip" (as opposed to a nice, relaxing train trip), the open vestibules would be packed with people and would make it impossible to just enjoy the open air in peace, and snap a few pictures here and there.

I'm glad everyone had a nice time, but it's definitely not my cup of tea.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Peter D. 08-23-2010 - 20:25
  Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Dustin Yates 08-23-2010 - 22:08
  Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Anonymous 08-24-2010 - 08:25
  Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Tom Carter - Director - FRRS 08-24-2010 - 12:37
  Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Dustin Yates 08-24-2010 - 15:38
  Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Anonymous 08-24-2010 - 21:01
  Re: Lots to say & not unough time at the moment Richard Elgenson 08-24-2010 - 07:07
  Amtrak, UP and the 1983 Juppo 08-24-2010 - 12:42
  Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Peter D. 08-25-2010 - 08:36
  Re: Does anyone have much to say about the Feather River Express 2010? Mike Lepker 08-25-2010 - 09:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com