> ... We have planners planning
> for HSR in corridors with little overhead air
> traffic (i.e. Portland-Eugene) - they will be
> sadly surprised when the traffic volumes don't
> materialize (because nobody wants to travel
> between those two points today, as evidenced by
> the lack of traffic on I-5, the lack of flights,
> and the lack of Greyhound buses).

I would generally concur with your statements, but unless things have changed in the six months or so since I traveled I-5 between Portland and Eugene, I certainly wouldn't concur about the "lack of traffic".

Still trains or no trains, HSR or not, I don't think I-5's traffic levels and congestion will be affected much.

With the Casacades service between Seattle and Portland, I-5 along much of that route is a nightmare many times of the week. I'd venture to say it won't get noticeably better when the additional trains start running. I.e. average Joe on the slog, won't be saying "Gee, sure is great they added trains, traffic is way better!"

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Chinese aircraft wreck yesterday...interesting observation Steven D. Johnson 08-24-2010 - 14:45
  Re: Chinese aircraft wreck yesterday...interesting observation Erik H. 08-24-2010 - 14:58
  HSR and vehicle traffic Steve Carter 08-24-2010 - 18:40
  Re: HSR and vehicle traffic mook 08-25-2010 - 12:11
  Re: Chinese aircraft wreck yesterday...interesting observation synonymouse 08-24-2010 - 19:56
  Re: Chinese aircraft wreck yesterday...interesting observation Tom H 08-24-2010 - 20:38
  Re: Chinese aircraft wreck yesterday...interesting observation synonymouse 08-24-2010 - 23:44
  Re: Chinese aircraft wreck yesterday...now HSR topic Carol L. Voss 08-25-2010 - 09:45
  Re: Chinese aircraft wreck yesterday...interesting observation Brian 08-25-2010 - 10:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com