Re: One more question for WRM... please...
Author: Mahatma Kane Jeeves
Date: 09-15-2010 - 17:31

>You have no idea as to what the FRA would allow or not.

Yes, I do because it's been part of my job for the last 10-15 years. Distant signals, except for certain very specific, specialized situations, went out with that rear-end collision on the Frisco about 30-35 years ago. You can't avoid distant signals with two-indications signaling like the OA&E had. I'm not sure when AC line wires were nixed, but it has to do with picking up stray, unwanted currents via induction from adjacent AC transmission lines. Have you ever wondered why both open telephone line wires and high-voltage power lines have periodic transpositions? Besides no signal supplier currently sells AC line relays. They do sell AC vane relays, to your specified frequency -- provided you bring enough money.

>Remember, this operation at WRM is an historic, demonstration railway with a lot of grandfathered rules intact.

Care to name some? About the only ones which readily comes to mind are the headlight/ditchlight, compressive strength, and glazing regulations. Air brake apparatus cleaning/testing regs aren't on this list. The Cal State pressure vessel code doesn't apply because it's been pre-empted by the FRA. How many of those air reservoirs have you hammer and hydro tested lately? There is still at least one car still equipped with a NB&E sheet metal reservoir.

>As far as WRM's unwillingness to enforce signal indications, etc, you are just making negative statements since you evidently are a disgruntled person who doesn't like them anyway.

So says you, but then again you're rather new to the whole situation. Besides I'm just as entitled as you are to post my opinions here, so take your self-serving opinion, sit on it, and then spin. Don't ever forget that people go to these railway museums for escapist reasons, which is why they constantly carp about the FRA not having any business regulating museums. That alone is reason enough to be concerned. The FRA doesn't stick its nose into museums for the simple reason that it doesn't want to. When there is a repeat of the Baltimore Streetcar Museum collision, at no matter which museum, the story will change, particularly if there are any fatalities,.

>Plus there is no signal system installed--probably never will be and so your "unwilling" comments are out of order and subjective.

When did you self-appoint yourself as the Grand Censor of Altamont Press?

>I have personally seen two "Code Transmitters" at the Museum, manufactured by GRS.

One is in a test set-up from the Key System, the other is similar apparatus from the SN at 40th & Shafter. So what's your point? You need a set of code transmitters for each block (the number depends on how many codes you wish to transmit, which translates into how many signal indications you are going to use). Center-fed blocks won't do.

>Regarding your comments about the NWP.... My information came from the Electric Railway Journal. Can we compare their start-up date with that of the OA&E ??

The NWP installation started as the NPC in 1903 (Harre Demoro's book), essentially contemporaneous with the signal installation on the BERy, which makes it the first or second installation of AC track-circuit signals in the US. But since you like to split hairs, it used single-rail track circuits (as did the BERy) and lower-quadrant style B semaphores rather than color lights. Searchlights and color lights came later on.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  One more question for WRM... please... ff 09-14-2010 - 09:43
  Re: One more question for WRM... please... Henry Miller 09-14-2010 - 20:29
  Re: One more question for WRM... please... Mahatma Kane Jeeves 09-15-2010 - 10:21
  Re: One more question for WRM... please... Henry Miller 09-15-2010 - 11:12
  Re: One more question for WRM... please... ff 09-15-2010 - 12:16
  Re: trackside phones Tom Moungovan 09-15-2010 - 14:30
  Re: trackside phones Tom Farence 09-16-2010 - 12:37
  Re: One more question for WRM... please... Mahatma Kane Jeeves 09-15-2010 - 17:31
  Re: One more question for WRM... please... OldPoleBurner 09-18-2010 - 12:15
  Re: One more question for WRM... please... Mahatma Kane Jeeves 09-18-2010 - 16:39

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com