New Train watching spot in Washington State
Author: Steve Carter
Date: 09-17-2010 - 00:24

Today was the grand opening of the "Bridge to the Beach" at the Chamber's Creek properties in University Place, WA (south of Tacoma). While I couldn't attend the official opening, my son and I made it over a couple hours later. A dreary day for photos, and due to an aching back, I didn't walk the beach very far, but did manage some photos of a Cascades and the EVEROO (BNSF for garbage).

The beach access runs all the way to Chamber's creek so photos of the lift bridge there will be possible looking south and from the water inland.

There were many people taking advantage of the new bridge, several of which were enthusiastic about watching the trains roll under the bridge.

Here's Cascades 516 headed for the bridge. The field to the left is to be a new pond for the expanding sewage treatment plant. Bridge 14 is barely visible it the right background. Full disclosure: The distracting ugly black fence was removed from this image.

Cascades 516

Cascades 516 along the golf course with the siganture "Lone Pine" (not to be confused with the Lone Cypress at Pebble Beach).

Cascades 516 and the Lone Pine

A trio of Warbonnets lead the EVEROO past the remants of the quarry operations.

EVEROO along the old quarry

The EVEROO under the bridge. The stainless steel cables that make up the "railings" of the bridge are flexible enough to allow a modest sized DSLR lens through.

The Bridge

Here's a shot of the bridge a couple weeks ago, looking north from Steilacoom.

The Bridge from Steilacoom

The bridge is about a five minute walk from the parking lot. You can also walk north on the path through the golf course for other interesting (but always black fence present) views.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  New Train watching spot in Washington State Steve Carter 09-17-2010 - 00:24
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Jim W. 09-17-2010 - 06:02
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State MP 44.7 09-17-2010 - 18:45
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Tom McCann 09-17-2010 - 21:24
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Steve Carter 09-17-2010 - 23:03
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Tom McCann 09-20-2010 - 13:30
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Tom McCann 09-26-2010 - 09:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com