Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State
Author: Tom McCann
Date: 09-26-2010 - 09:42

Steve, this is a super location. I especially like the sightlines to the south toward Steilacoom; on my next trip I'll have a camera with a strong telephoto lens.

I actually wound up parking in the upper lot and walking down the hill. The extra effort actually paid off; I was able to snag a photo of a southbound manifest from the upper overlook.

I was listening to the dispatcher talking to the crew of this train and he mentioned that they had to whistle for the Union Avenue crossing (the ferry dock access) in Steilacoom. He referred to the automated crossing protection being out of service.

As I drove back down into Steilacoom, I noticed a set of flashing "X" signals approaching the grade crossing at the beach access north of the town. The dispatcher had mentioned to the train crew that, if the crossing automation was working, these would be flashing.

This was the first time I had noticed this type of signal. How does it tie in with the crossing protection, and is it a regular part of horn-free crossings?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  New Train watching spot in Washington State Steve Carter 09-17-2010 - 00:24
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Jim W. 09-17-2010 - 06:02
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State MP 44.7 09-17-2010 - 18:45
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Tom McCann 09-17-2010 - 21:24
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Steve Carter 09-17-2010 - 23:03
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Tom McCann 09-20-2010 - 13:30
  Re: New Train watching spot in Washington State Tom McCann 09-26-2010 - 09:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com