> On the difficult end: One complete bridge crane
> assembly including the riveted support structure
> (There was a group interested in removing and
> reusing this historic equipment), one of the
> 1874-era roof trusses, an entire bay of brick
> construction.

> snip <

I see.

The reason I asked is because contrary to what was in the Examiner and Chronicle articles, preservation or railbuff groups that might've been interested in obtaining items from the building had ample time to negotiate with Union Pacific to obtain those items. UP originally took out a demolition permit for the building in 2001 but didn't knock it down til 2010. If nine years' time wasn't sufficient time, then I don't know what is.

As you must've noticed during your tour, there was little of real value remaining in the building. The machine tools that were still of use - and still worked - had been removed long ago. The wooden doors that folded across the tracks were removed in the mid-2000s because they were literally falling apart. One item I thought might've been of interest to railbuff groups that do locomotive or car restoration was the drop table (you were standing by it in the last photo in your Flickr album), but apparently not.

If I read your wish list correctly, some of the things that were an integral part of the actual structure (such as those in your last paragraph), would've been difficult to extract without compromising the integrity of the rest of the structure, so maybe those things are unrealistic. But I'm sure some of the other things you mention could've been obtained during the nine year period, or set aside during the demolition process itself. SOL now.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-01-2010 - 23:08
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Mike Frances 10-03-2010 - 01:12
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-03-2010 - 10:14
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition svry510 10-03-2010 - 19:03
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Captain Underpants 10-03-2010 - 21:49
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Castlebridge 10-03-2010 - 22:19
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Alfred Doten 10-04-2010 - 10:58
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition R Ruiz 10-04-2010 - 22:44
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-04-2010 - 22:50
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition R Ruiz 10-05-2010 - 17:52
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-05-2010 - 19:31
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition R Ruiz 10-05-2010 - 22:01
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-06-2010 - 10:14
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition stash 10-06-2010 - 11:26
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-06-2010 - 12:08
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition George Andrews 10-06-2010 - 17:12
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Christian J. Goepel 10-07-2010 - 16:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com