Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition
Author: R Ruiz
Date: 10-05-2010 - 22:01

I am responding to this against my better judgment.

The building continued to be in use until 2007. Preservation groups are not particularly pro-active and generally respond when there is a known threat. As long as the building continued to be in use by the Union Pacific, there was no reason to intervene. From a preservation perspective, the highest and best use of a historic structure is in its own location being used for what it was designed for. I raised flags with a number of people when I became aware the UPRR had stopped using the facility, but it was not until Oakland Heritage Alliance was notified of UPRR's renewed intent to demolish the building that anyone swung into action.

UPRR counsel offered that interested organizations could recover items from the building prior to demolition, and that a tour would be arranged to see the building and identify relevant items. At the tour, we were reassured that demolition was not imminent and further communication would take place. After the tour, several messages were sent to UPRR and ignored. One week later the building was demolished without any further communication from the railroad.

They made an offer they did not live up to. Perhaps you could suggest they should have just razed the building without informing anyone as was their apparent right? Perhaps that might have been better than pretending to talk with preservation organizations in good faith.

My failure to mention the drop table was an oversight.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-01-2010 - 23:08
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Mike Frances 10-03-2010 - 01:12
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-03-2010 - 10:14
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition svry510 10-03-2010 - 19:03
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Captain Underpants 10-03-2010 - 21:49
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Castlebridge 10-03-2010 - 22:19
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Alfred Doten 10-04-2010 - 10:58
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition R Ruiz 10-04-2010 - 22:44
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-04-2010 - 22:50
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition R Ruiz 10-05-2010 - 17:52
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-05-2010 - 19:31
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition R Ruiz 10-05-2010 - 22:01
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-06-2010 - 10:14
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition stash 10-06-2010 - 11:26
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition OPRRMS 10-06-2010 - 12:08
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition George Andrews 10-06-2010 - 17:12
  Re: Another article about the West Oak. Diesel Shop demolition Christian J. Goepel 10-07-2010 - 16:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com