Re: To crop, or not to crop, that is the question
Author: Severe Duty
Date: 10-14-2010 - 10:11

It's good that you pose that question. I personally like the borad shots for the reasons you mentioned. I grew up watching movies my dad took of L.A. streetcars and trains, where often the audience was just as interested in the parade of 1950's automobiles, long-shuttered stores, buildings since demolished, etc.

It's great to se close ups, too as they provide a good look at the subject's details like marker lamp configurations, truck design characteristics, etc.

The photographer has the initial choice to make: I usually try to do both close up and environmental, if there's time. This is due to clarity and sharpness issues that are inherent with any kind of enlargement seeking deatail. So, if I have both an action shot and a roster shot, then a few close-up detailed or shots with an artistic bent, then I'm happy with the shoot. Ultimatley, it becomes a choice of the presenter, and mostly on why and who it will be presented to- the modeler would need the closeups, the slide show audience probably like a little of first the action shots, then the close-up, and finally a magazine editor might like to see a photographically balanced three or four of the best out off all the shots, with his staff worrying about cropping, etc.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  To crop, or not to crop, that is the question Steve Sloan 10-14-2010 - 08:39
  Re: To crop, or not to crop, that is the question Severe Duty 10-14-2010 - 10:11
  Re: borad is supposed to be... Severe Duty 10-14-2010 - 12:05
  Re: To crop, or not to crop, that is the question The man behind the curtain 10-14-2010 - 14:45
  Re: To crop, or not to crop, that is the question GTB 10-14-2010 - 15:32
  Re: GTB brings to light a good point. Severe Duty 10-14-2010 - 15:40
  Re: To crop, or not to crop, that is the question MJH 10-15-2010 - 06:16
  Re: To crop, or not to crop, that is the question Peter D. 10-17-2010 - 12:14

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com