AT&SF pix- San Bernardino and one from Chicago.
Author: Severe Duty
Date: 10-14-2010 - 14:15

Well, I haven't done this in a long time, but I thought I'd share a few pix today. None of these are in any real condition for printing, due to them just being prints scanned on a flatbed scanner. The negs are...somewhere! Anyway, I tried to clean them up a little, but they're still kind of low-budget. But, hey I thought some folks would like to see them:

First up: It's December, 1989, and I was surprised by this train blasting through Corona a little while earlier, so I got on the 91 Freeway and hauled ass to San Berdoo, where I barely had enough time to get these two 'grab' shots. You can just make out a couple of people on the grass watching America's freight roll by. The platform lights still have their car-spot signs on them for long-gone AT&SF passenger trains, and the restoration of the depot has yet to begin. I believe the company still used the gound floor as a Dsipatcher's office, but I can't be certain. I have no idea what the symbol would be for this, but it had a lot of JB Hunt doublestacks and pigflats on the rear. Obviously a Z symbol, maybe the 899 or 999.
Eastbound Z train with business cars on the rear rolls through San Bernardino. It's about to hit the slow curve by the icehouse, and will soon roll uphill through Ono, Verdemont and Devore before tackling the grade from there and Summit on its way east.

Same as above, with the rear bringing up three of the company's business cars.

ATSF business cars on Z train SB

And finally: I'm downtown Chicago on January 22, 1990 while doing my part for Uncle Sam up at Great Lakes. Here's a switcher of AT&SF heritage doing its chores while I contemplate the evening of good food near The Loop, plenty of cold beer and a drowsy ride on Metra's then-C&NW North Line back to Great Lakes. Next move from this spot, though, was to climb through Metra's idling E-unit fleet a little further down the tracks. Those few pix are also...somewhere!

ex-ATSF switcher Chicago Amtrak

Glad to share, hope you enjoyed it, and comments/corrections are welcome!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  AT&SF pix- San Bernardino and one from Chicago. Severe Duty 10-14-2010 - 14:15
  Re: AT&SF pix- San Bernardino and one from Chicago. MP 44.7 10-14-2010 - 15:25
  Re: AT&SF pix- San Bernardino and one from Chicago. Steve Sloan 10-15-2010 - 18:36
  Re: AT&SF pix- San Bernardino and one from Chicago. Peter D. 10-17-2010 - 12:01
  Re: scanner Severe Duty 10-17-2010 - 15:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com