Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate....
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 11-04-2010 - 15:22

I will grant you, that "prop 13" was a draconian solution. And yes, the crybaby legislature of the time did have to do some actual work and re-structure the whole tax system to account for it - something they did not want to do. But that was their sworn duty anyhow. And yes, it would have been much better had a rational compromise solution been worked out in committee or on the floor of the assembly.

But they failed - big time. Time after time the Governor proposed and proposed solution after potential solution. Seven years in a row, but all to no avail. The state legislature was just as stubborn and incompetent then as now. But when the people got desperate enough after several years in a row of 40% to 60% per annum property tax increases in the 70s, they went for the only available option they had - the inflexible initiative process.

Corporations have neither benefited nor been hurt much. But the people did benefit - they got to keep their homes from being sold by the tax collector to pay for unaffordable unsustainable taxes.

I ought to know - when I bought my house, I could afford it with a little to spare. But just three years later, after my property taxes had already doubled and were about to double again in just the very next year, my house was soon to go - No chance I would not have defaulted - that very year. Prop 13 saved us from a housing market collapse in the 70s for sure.

So blame the failure of the legislature for all this; not prop 13, which was a mere symptom. Their refusal to solve a very real problem, is why we got prop 13 in the first place. And the greedy politicians in Sacramento are still to blame for our current problems - they are the ones now stealing all the money set asside by law, to the local governments.

But Californians just put mostly the same old thieves back in office. So I presume we are going to get more of the same, except that we just gave in to them and gave them even more power. We will surely get exactly what we voted for - more thievery and a more emboldened incompetence - BET ON IT!

Besides, this is a democracy, we deserve to get what we vote for. So bet on it twice!

Now that I'm done with my reactionary rant, I better get hot before my boss starts to rant - so enough already. Sorry I totally strayed off the rail topic on this one, but sheesh. . . .

OPB

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... DH 11-03-2010 - 02:17
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Tom Moungovan 11-03-2010 - 05:17
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Espee99 11-03-2010 - 08:19
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Bobster 11-03-2010 - 08:48
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Scott Schiechl 11-03-2010 - 09:30
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Drew Jacksich 11-03-2010 - 09:45
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Scott Schiechl 11-03-2010 - 14:49
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Drew Jacksich 11-03-2010 - 15:11
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... She personally RUINED SoCal 06-02-2013 - 05:47
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Rich Tower 11-03-2010 - 09:56
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... George Andrews 11-03-2010 - 10:53
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... OldPoleBurner 11-04-2010 - 01:21
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Rerail 11-04-2010 - 12:28
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... OPRRMS 11-04-2010 - 17:52
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... DCA 11-04-2010 - 12:53
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... OldPoleBurner 11-04-2010 - 15:22
  Re: Will Adriana Gianturco return to inaugurate.... Ken Ruben 11-03-2010 - 17:35

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com