Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 58 - Repubs say No HSR Anywhere Anyhow Anyway We Can't Afford It
Author: synonymouse
Date: 03-30-2011 - 11:53

Government inefficiency does not just exist it proliferates. Bell is just the tip of the iceberg.

The "experts" cannot be trusted, except to boondoggle. By that I mean latch onto the most expensive and dumbest alternative and then dig in the heels. PB is the worst - they never met a berm, aerial, viaduct, stilt, they did not like. Apparently the only expensive item they don't like is base tunnels. They must be conceiving the hsr as a Roman aqueduct - water level all the way. Southeast of Bakersfield they engineered a very lengthy viaduct in the boonies and if remember right this is close to a recently discovered fault. So much for the seismic hand-wringing; that FUD evidently only applies to Tejon. I have come to the conclusion that their problem with Tejon is not so much NIH but the simple boondoggle principle - Tehachapi is longer and thus bigger and better contracts.

If they could come up with a plan for Tehachapi that was freight-friendly, I could see it. AFAIK that possibility was never considered. I fear their Tehachapi Detour will prove to be way underutilized - trains half-empty - and it will be one big white elephant.

So, from my pov, cut the funding and force them back to the drawing board. Maybe diesel incremental is the way to proceed.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 58 Espee99 03-28-2011 - 20:05
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 58 - Repubs say No HSR Anywhere Anyhow Anyway We Can't Afford It mook 03-29-2011 - 18:07
  Re: Repubs say No HSR - The Rest Of The Story demipublicon-pinkotarian-libricrat 03-29-2011 - 22:41
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 58 - Repubs say No HSR Anywhere Anyhow Anyway We Can't Afford It jesse 03-29-2011 - 22:43
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 58 - Repubs say No HSR Anywhere Anyhow Anyway We Can't Afford It George Andrews 03-29-2011 - 23:09
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 58 - Repubs say No HSR Anywhere Anyhow Anyway We Can't Afford It demipublicon-pinkotarian-libricrat 03-30-2011 - 11:26
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 58 - Repubs say No HSR Anywhere Anyhow Anyway We Can't Afford It synonymouse 03-30-2011 - 11:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com