Re: Colton Calif. Question
Author: Severe Duty
Date: 04-17-2011 - 20:28

When I was a boy, our dad would occasionally take us there and visit with one of the tower operators, by the name of Frank. Even then the adjoining community was pretty rough. Watch your back and leave before dark. Colton, Redlands and San Berdoo are all old railroad/interurban/street railway towns. Before you return, I highly recommend reading up on old lines and significant locations, then cross reference these spots with current maps/publications.

Key points of interest that come to mind, but there are more: PERy bridge over the Santa Ana river just south west of Norton AFB (San Bernardino Airport), AT&SF station in Redlands, PERy carhouse in Redlands, Highgrove Jct. and the beginning of the SanJac branch, the now-UP line that crosses said SanJac and wound its way into Colton over the Santa Ana river. Also, Pepper Ave. bridge over the Tote Board and a view of what's left of Slover Mountain with a good view of the beginning of the Palmdale Cutoff. Redlands Loop, too.

A little bit of legwork beforehand and I'm sure you'll will find that the $4.39 per gallon of gas will yield a more significantly enriching experience.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Colton Calif. Question Peter D. 04-17-2011 - 16:23
  Re: Colton Calif. Question Freericks 04-17-2011 - 18:16
  Re: Colton Calif. Question Marty Bernard 04-17-2011 - 19:05
  Re: Colton Calif. Question Severe Duty 04-17-2011 - 20:28
  Re: Colton Calif. Question Severe Duty 04-17-2011 - 20:31
  Re: Colton Calif. Question mrek 04-18-2011 - 08:38
  Re: Colton Calif. Question Peter D. 04-18-2011 - 10:28

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com