Ken Good Curve in Marias Pass
Author: Dale Jones
Date: 06-20-2011 - 02:32

I've seen some recent photo references to photographs taken at the curve just east of Belton, Montana in Marias Pass - [fairly easily accessed from US #2 depending on foliage].

It's the classic Great Northern publicity shot with the Middle Fork of the Flathead River & two tunnels visable in the image.

The question is???

When did this become Ken Good Curve?

Ken was a good railfam friend of mine & I'm sure he would be flattered having a "curve" named after him - he died in a tragic plane crash near Nyack a few years ago.

He told me years ago "he wasn't much of a photographer" - in fact I've never seen a photo taken by him at that location.

Just as I've never seen a photograph of a train by Robert Johnston on his "curve" just West of Belton [with Glacier National Park in the background]

I have no argument with these popular titles - I'm just curious how they got there.

"Morant's Curve" is famous along the CP near Banff - simply because he made it famous.

If for no reason other than respect for Robert & Ken, to call these curves by their names - then that's okay with me.

As I said - just curious - anyone got any ideas how these name places came to be??

Talk to ya later,
Dale Jones
[www.railroads-of-montana.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Ken Good Curve in Marias Pass Dale Jones 06-20-2011 - 02:32
  Re: Ken Good Curve in Marias Pass Mark Lynn 06-20-2011 - 10:10
  Re: Ken Good Curve in Marias Pass Dale Jones 06-20-2011 - 10:27
  Re: Ken Good Curve in Marias Pass Kyle Brehm 06-20-2011 - 15:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com