And a tribute to Laurette
Author: OPRRMS
Date: 06-27-2011 - 01:33

The following tribute to Conductor Laurette Lee, written by a well-known and respected Amtrak engineer Phil Gosney, has been making the rounds. I thought I'd share it with you folks.

This email is going to my fellow Amtrak coworkers and also to many train fans that knew Conductor Laurette Lee. I am still in shock over the loss of a good friend whom I have known and worked with for over 25 years.

Laurette always took a personal interest in you. Granted, she may have come off a bit harsh at times but she tolerated no fools. She always did her job to the best of her ability and ran a tight ship. Beneath it all, she had a very kind and loving heart.

It is difficult to recall the many stories and incidents we shared over the years. I will always recall how kind she was to your family or anyone you brought along. She always remembered the names of your spouse and your children. She would ask about them a few days later. I was fortunate to have met just about everyone in her family, over the years, and everyone loved Laurette. She was considered as a mother, a grandmother or an aunt to so many on the railroad. It is difficult to say good-bye to such a good friend and fellow co-worker considering the unnecessary and tragic event which ended her life.

I will recount one appropriate story. Pete Hidalgo, now retired, called me on Friday with the tragic news regarding Laurette and the accident on the “California Zephyr” near the siding of Ocala, Nevada. He and I were enginemen working together in locomotive cabs of Amtrak trains to: Klamath Falls, Santa Barbara and Reno for over 25 years. He was to meet Laurette on Saturday, the day after her fateful accident, and together they were going to drive to Stockton and visit a retired Amtrak conductor in declining health. That pretty well sums up Laurette. Always thinking of others.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and dear friends of Laurette. She was special to many of us in the Amtrak family. You will always be in our hearts and thoughts, Laurette.

Phil Gosney
Engineer - Oakland, CA

P.S. - Feel free to forward this email to others.

Phil also included some photos of Laurette at work. I don't know how to post them here, so I'll pass them along to the Trainews listowner and see what he can do with them.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  JOINT STATEMENT OF SYMPATHY BOB R 06-26-2011 - 17:56
  And a tribute to Laurette OPRRMS 06-27-2011 - 01:33
  Re: " Laurette Lee"-- just a thought......... Jack Williams 06-27-2011 - 11:38
  Re: JOINT STATEMENT OF SYMPATHY Peter D. 06-27-2011 - 08:08
  Re: JOINT STATEMENT OF SYMPATHY BOB R 06-27-2011 - 21:01

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com