Re: Cima Hill on TrainWatchersJournal
Author: Severe Duty
Date: 07-22-2011 - 19:18

Very well done! If you get the chance, camping in Afton Canyon with a visit to the Kelso depot for lunch is a fun experience. As late as last spring 2010, I drove from the east end of Afton through to Kelso and on up to the Cima summit. At Cima, did you notice the wood sided ex-UP MOW boxcar off the road? Very interseting grade. It does not look like much to the naked eye, but it is significant. You can still find bits and pieces of the 1983(?) runaway tie train that made it west of Kelso by a couple of miles or so before it wrecked.

Some great, lonely and hot unforgiving desert railfanning can be done out there. The Mojave Green rattlesnake enjoys the environment around Cima, and lizards that can dart out from one dune into the next can be seen at the Kelso Dunes. I haven't tried any railfan-related photography from those dunes, but I wonder if it's possible? Did you check that out?

You will probably not forget the district once you've been there. It can be memerizing just being enveloped by the roaring silence of the place. Finding the sliver of shade from the bright, blazing sun aside a Joshua tree barely shelters lens flare, and certainly not the heat! But go to Cima and camp out January to April, and you could freeze to death. I always thought it was interesting to see how that environment is very preserving of junk, with the exception of wood.
Thanks for sharing!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Cima Hill on TrainWatchersJournal Pdxrailtransit 07-22-2011 - 13:51
  Re: Cima Hill on TrainWatchersJournal Severe Duty 07-22-2011 - 19:18
  Re:further Severe Duty 07-22-2011 - 20:55
  Re: Cima Hill on TrainWatchersJournal Pdxrailtransit 07-23-2011 - 09:09

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com