Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA?
Author: Bruce Kelly
Date: 08-27-2007 - 07:28

I vaguely remember the movie March of the Penguins painting a grim picture of months spent without food, trudging miles across ice and snow, focused totally on the survival of their kids. So yes, the "seasonal" nature of penguin feed mentioned above may have merit. Meanwhile, I too wonder why BNSF can't pause to pick up containers of food at Quincy when it already pauses to pick up containers of ash or trash at Parkwater. Must be more to the story than simple operations. Money, perhaps? Peas are still a happening crop in the Palouse of eastern Washington and neighboring Idaho, as well as the area surrounding the Camas Prairie. But there are some farmers who are already jumping on the ethanol bandwagon in this region who are converting some of their pea, wheat, or barley fields to corn. Haven't paid much attention to the P&L since Watco let go of it, so an update will have to come from others. But as of a year or so ago, peas were still being loaded in boxcars at places like Garfield and Eden. And down on the former Camas Prairie trackage now operated by Bountiful Grain & Craig Mountain, peas were still being loaded at Lapwai last I saw. Peas are as seasonal as penguin chow. I've observed Palouse/Camas Prairie peas being harvested and loaded in May/June. Those with eyes closer to this stuff can tell us more. Speaking of peas and containers, my son and I managed to photograph peas being loaded into containers at Moscow, Idaho, a couple of years ago. The containers we saw that day were being trucked out, not rail hauled. And the elevator/warehouse complex is now in the last phases of being torn down.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Agent 86 08-24-2007 - 16:02
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? SDP45 08-24-2007 - 18:18
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? SDP45 08-24-2007 - 18:31
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Rich Hunn 08-24-2007 - 19:30
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? S. L. Murray 08-24-2007 - 20:55
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Rich Hunn 08-24-2007 - 21:03
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Bruce Kelly 08-27-2007 - 07:28
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Hep 08-27-2007 - 12:33
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Bruce Kelly 08-27-2007 - 14:30
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Ross Hall 08-29-2007 - 17:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com