Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Author: Bruce Kelly
Date: 11-03-2011 - 11:56

That's certainly one of the more colorized versions I've seen of the 7.5-minute topo for CdA. You have to go to older maps than this to see all of the rail lines that once ran here. I'll try to fill in some of the blanks.

In that western section of yellow, the line ID'd as Burlington Northern is the surviving BNSF branch, comprised of ex-MILW track here. There are two short sidings at Huetter, between the two road crossings along the word "Northern." The "Old Railroad Grade" north of there is the former NP. What's not shown is the former GN alignment, which was between the NP and MILW in this particular area. GN and MILW consolidated much of their branch trackage between the Atlas/Gibbs area of CdA and the WA/ID state line, in the mid-40s if I recall from all my research. The current branch transitions from MILW to GN track just off the west edge of this map.

Closer into CdA, directly south of the I-90/Northwest Blvd. interchange, there was once a bridge crossing the Spokane River to serve a lumber mill on Blackwell Island.

The original MILW alignment down to the waterfront is not shown. It passed through a short tunnel under the intersection of Government Way and Garden Ave (one tunnel portal still protrudes above ground), and then went straight south in a long cut before crossing Sherman Ave.

A few blocks east of McEuen Playfield (a former mill site, BTW), the predecessor to GN had a branch which split off to run north to Hayden Lake. The Hayden Lake Country Club still displays several nice pictures of the trains and trolleys that once stopped there.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Bruce Kelly 11-02-2011 - 10:51
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Freericks 11-02-2011 - 11:45
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Jim 11-02-2011 - 11:55
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Bruce Kelly 11-02-2011 - 12:20
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Freericks 11-02-2011 - 12:27
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Shannon 11-02-2011 - 18:37
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Not Bruce 11-02-2011 - 23:30
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho TB 11-02-2011 - 21:30
  Re: Last Tracks Removed from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Bruce Kelly 11-03-2011 - 11:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com