Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular???
Author: Erik H.
Date: 11-06-2011 - 07:38

I'd say "average" judging from my visit in Portland. There was very little advertising, mostly word-of-mouth, but Portland seems to have a fairly large closet railfan base and other events that have had similarly little advertising had much larger turnouts (even during working weekdays). I'd say I saw as many or more people at the Columbia Gorge Model Railroad Club's open house (first day was yesterday).

No line to get to the train, was easy to get pictures of the locomotives. Inside a fair amount of people but definitely had space to move about and time to take pictures inside and look at the displays. Inside the station a few more people looking at the various booths set up, but again room to walk. Definitely NOWHERE near National Train Day when the place was a zoo. Actually, WORSE than a zoo.

One of the big differences is that the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Train is not really geared towards the families-with-children. Heck, I'm 34 and I have no personal experience of the pre-Amtrak passenger train environment, or the events that led up to Amtrak. Why would my seven year old son care? He was mostly interested in the HO scale models throughout the train than anything else (well, except the whistle display and the yard signal. But strangely he could have cared less about the locomotive control stand.)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? Coleman Randall, Jr 11-05-2011 - 23:46
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? smitty195 11-06-2011 - 05:18
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? Erik H. 11-06-2011 - 07:38
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? George Andrews 11-06-2011 - 08:03
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? Mistertower 11-06-2011 - 08:40
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? Tie Plate 11-06-2011 - 15:20
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? arlen sheldrake 11-06-2011 - 16:42
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? Erik H. 11-06-2011 - 17:02
  Re: Is the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train proving to be popular??? George Andrews 11-06-2011 - 21:44
  Re: YES! Peter D. 11-07-2011 - 07:04
  Re: Amtrak 40th Anniversary Arlen Sheldrake 11-07-2011 - 08:37

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com