Re: Trucker on the Train
Author: Richard Elgenson
Date: 11-12-2011 - 17:12

Drew Jacksich said:
Quote:
I guess this stuff is all well and good but this is really no more than the usual "blame it on the trucker" fluff.

No one on June 9 laid blame on any other party. My question to you Drew, is, did you actually read the quotes on page 2 of the article? The people involved had a linear line of thought which is education and observance of the laws. You as a retired truck driver probably know of the rule of keeping your rear in the clear. Move when it is safe, etc.

Drew Jacksich said:
Quote:
it is still obvious that those people involved, railroaders, cops, and trucking management have spent little or no time in the driver's seat of anything larger than a pick-up.

By listening to the audio over and over to capture their message, it is obvious that there is problem with some commercial drivers. I gave a safety presentation to 15 transit drivers a few weeks ago and several drivers asked pointed questions while many others thought the message was a joking matter. An imbecile in personal life is likely to be just as weak as a professional driver. J.B. Hunt seemed to take the message to heart on June 9. I can't speak for their drivers, but look at the incident from late June in Nevada. I had never heard of the phrase "beat the rear" until October at an Operation Lifesaver workshop. Drivers are usually drivers because they may have somewhat lower intelligence than to become a civil engineer or anything other than a monkey driving a bus or truck. To think that a train won't appear is ludicrous and dangerous. Just ask Billy Parker. Better yet, go back to page 2 of Trucker-on-the-train and listen to his 17 minute speech.

Drew Jacksich said:
Quote:
In one case, I had a CHP commercial officer start to write me on o/s citation for my sliding fifth wheel because he though the locking device was defective. It wasn't but he did not have slightest idea of how the thing worked.

Cops are people too. Some are dishonest and lie. An OCTA bus driver described to me a few months ago how he got a ticket in his personal car and asked my opinion. I believed his story and thought he should fight the ticket. In 1994, I was driving through Farmington New Mexico on my way to Durango to ride the steam train. I observed each and every sign leaving town and got the red lights. I described each and every one of them back to the trooper and he said "have a good time".

You seem to generalize to such a degree that your statements lose credibility to some of us. I enjoy your photos and captions, but next time put some restraint into your replies. Better yet, write your reply in an email and then sit on it for a few hours or a day. Then reread your thoughts and ask yourself, should I post this?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Trucker on the Train Richard Elgenson 11-11-2011 - 12:04
  Re: Trucker on the Train The Montezuma Yardmaster 11-11-2011 - 13:20
  Re: Trucker on the Train Richard Elgenson 11-11-2011 - 16:35
  Re: Trucker on the Train Drew Jacksich 11-11-2011 - 23:00
  Re: Trucker on the Train Richard Elgenson 11-12-2011 - 17:12
  Re: Trucker on the Train Bill 11-12-2011 - 18:19
  Re: Trucker on the Train George Andrews 11-13-2011 - 08:05
  Re: Trucker on the Train Mike Swanson 11-13-2011 - 12:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com