Lodi CA Questions
Author: Freddie
Date: 01-27-2012 - 18:13

I happened to be in Lodi today and did not see any trains.

What I did see was some interesting trackage and abandoned R-O-W. I am curious about a few things and I bet someone on this board has local knowledge and can answer my questions.

Pardon that my general knowledge of the area comes from old SP timetables and I use their terms.

1. There is just the one ex-SP main track behind the Lodi depot. Yet the R-O-W looks wide enough for a small yard, or some other RR buildings maybe. There are also what look like umbrella sheds or maybe packing/express platforms well East of the depot. Did this station once have many tracks, or a switching yard?

2. The "Woodbridge Branch" is interesting too. I suppose UP calls it an "industrial lead". I followed it all the way to the end; it seems like it exists mainly to serve General Mills on (of all things) Mills Street. There appear to be several blocks of street running. How active is this line, if at all? If active, does it run on any kind of schedule? And what is the trackage beyond the General Mills plant? I did notice a "wood bridge" in Woodbridge, just before the bumper at the end of the branch.

3. There is an obvious R-O-W with some crossing signals still standing, heading East out of town off the SP main. Was this the "Kentucky House Branch"? If not, what was it? When were the rails removed? What was the traffic on this line back in the SP days?

4. The other East-West line in town, crossing Highway 99, is the CCT I asssume. What are current operations of this shortline? And is the CCT active at all, North of "Lodi Jct."?

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Lodi CA Questions Freddie 01-27-2012 - 18:13
  Re: Lodi CA Questions George Andrews 01-27-2012 - 19:54
  Re: Lodi CA Questions DMT 01-27-2012 - 22:26
  Re: Lodi CA Questions theconductor 01-28-2012 - 11:23
  Re: Lodi CA Questions Gene Martin 01-27-2012 - 22:54
  Re: Lodi CA Questions DCA 01-27-2012 - 22:54
  Re: Lodi CA Questions Peter D. 01-28-2012 - 06:52
  Re: Lodi CA Questions hepkema 01-28-2012 - 10:48
  Re: Lodi CA Questions and Answers! David 01-28-2012 - 12:44
  Re: Lodi CA Questions and Answers! BOB R 01-28-2012 - 22:37

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com