Re: Lodi CA Questions
Author: DCA
Date: 01-27-2012 - 22:54

I may be able to supply a little of the older info you're looking for, using my (now distant) memories and the employee timetables from when I was a brakeman on the SP San Joaquin Division in the late '60's, but my recall of various details from that time is not as great as it once was, given the passage of time. Also, I generally worked the main lines and was never assigned to the runs that went up into the foothills on the branches geographically east of the Stockton Subdivision north-south main.

That said, Lodi is (or was) agricultural and wine country and did have a few yard tracks. Timetable 3, issued May 12, 1968 shows the siding there had a 129 car capacity. There was double track main from Lathrop to Akers (about 10 miles geographically south of Lodi) and CTC from Akers to Polk, where the Sacramento Division began.

The Kentucky House Branch did in fact begin at Lodi and was yard limits from Lodi to Victor, 3.6 miles east. Overall it was 39.1 miles in length.

The Woodbridge Branch ran 2.4 miles out of Lodi to Woodbridge and was all yard limits. I don't recall going down it although I occasionally worked the Polk Local that ran Tracy to Roseville.

I can't tell you much about the history of the CCT though it was certainly always a presence in those days in that part of the Central Valley.

There are a number of excellent books about the SP, the WP (which paralleled the SP from about Lathrop up to downtown Sacramento) and the smaller lines in the Central Valley area which can provide a lot of historical detail that you may find intersting.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Lodi CA Questions Freddie 01-27-2012 - 18:13
  Re: Lodi CA Questions George Andrews 01-27-2012 - 19:54
  Re: Lodi CA Questions DMT 01-27-2012 - 22:26
  Re: Lodi CA Questions theconductor 01-28-2012 - 11:23
  Re: Lodi CA Questions Gene Martin 01-27-2012 - 22:54
  Re: Lodi CA Questions DCA 01-27-2012 - 22:54
  Re: Lodi CA Questions Peter D. 01-28-2012 - 06:52
  Re: Lodi CA Questions hepkema 01-28-2012 - 10:48
  Re: Lodi CA Questions and Answers! David 01-28-2012 - 12:44
  Re: Lodi CA Questions and Answers! BOB R 01-28-2012 - 22:37

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com