Re: running trucks
Author: Severe Duty
Date: 02-27-2012 - 16:55

Hour at a time? Well, I can't say about that. Anyway, on the BNSF, a relatively recent way of obtaining track and time is via a laptop-style interface with the DS. It may be that they need the engine running to power that up while waiting, but that is well beyond my area of knowledge; I am just speculating. It may be running to keep the A/C cool. As inefficient as that may sound, it could be the case.

On the flip side, Renzenberger punishes their drivers for leaving the engine idling for more than a minute, regardless of weather. Have a nice day.

Some people think it's pretty cool to leave their diesel engine running, like it causes excessive wear and tear or might warp the block with frequent starts/stops. That may have been true 40+ years ago, but I doubt that with today's engines. I once stopped at Denair to eat at a small park. The local water district rednecks rolled up in their 1-ton rig, and left their engine idling the whole time while they ate their lunch, too. Really annoying, wasteful and idiotic.

Flame on.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  running trucks Dundee 02-27-2012 - 12:17
  Re: running trucks Severe Duty 02-27-2012 - 16:55
  Re: running trucks SSS 02-27-2012 - 20:14
  Re: running trucks George Andrews 02-27-2012 - 20:55
  Re: running trucks jst3751 02-28-2012 - 02:28

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com