Re: Idaho Northern at Cascade
Author: Matt Farnsworth
Date: 03-07-2012 - 10:11

If the rails have been lifted, it's been pretty recent. I went through Cascade/Banks on 12/27/2011. At that time the rails were still in place all the way to Cascade. The crossing signal lights on highway 55 in Cascade had been turned away from the highway, but the track and signals were still there. The only section of track missing is a very short (50 or so yards) section just north of Banks, south of the Payette River bridge where a large rock slide took out the track. At that spot, the rails had been removed to clear the slide. The interesting thing is, the ROW had been graded flat, and there were enough new ties, relay rail and spikes ect. present to rebuild the missing section of track. However, it's been sitting empty ready to rebuild for quite a while now, I want to say two or three years.
The only other thing I know is that there had been some problems with a tunnel between Smiths Ferry and Banks that had caused the RR to suspend service between those two towns. However, when that first happened, the only train affected was the one that goes from Horseshoe Bend to Cascade, the train from Cascade to Smiths Ferry was still running. I had called the RR and asked about it, I was told that the insurance company was allowing equipment but not passengers through the tunnel. I don't know the reason for the RR ending the Cascade to Smiths Ferry run, I suspect that lite patronage of the run + the prospect of having to rebuild the tunnel was getting a little steep in price. I think the final nail in the coffin though was the rock slide north of Banks.
Matt F
Moscow ID

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Idaho Northern at Cascade Peter 03-07-2012 - 09:47
  Re: Idaho Northern at Cascade Matt Farnsworth 03-07-2012 - 10:11
  Re: Idaho Northern at Cascade Rolland Meyers 03-07-2012 - 16:58
  Re: Idaho Northern at Cascade Northern Snowman 03-07-2012 - 17:49
  Re: Idaho Northern at Cascade Rolland Meyers 03-08-2012 - 20:39

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com