Re: SPT Co...roof shingle color?
Author: Severe Duty
Date: 05-20-2012 - 22:54

Lacking clarity on the exact number and size of rivets formally assembled to make up a color, I refered to it as 'dirty yellow', as opposed to what it has always truly appeared to me as...babyshit yellow. Sarcasm aside, I have finally been able to dig out the reprinted Common Standard drawing entitled 'colors' dated April 2nd, 1897 Maintenance of Way Dept. where the paint chip of our subject yellow is simply listed as No. 1, of six colors represented. A description reads: "To be used on all buildings of the better class and, where necessary, as an inside trimming with No. 3." Hopefully, the person who recreated these paint chips was on the ball.

The formula for No. 1 is also listed, but I had some trouble locating 100 pounds of white lead in oil, so I went with a good quality commercial brand of paint.

I doubt my little shanty would be considered 'better class', because I built it, and am certainly seldom seen in that light! However, that is the color I will paint it. I am under the impression there were two shades of exterior yellow, anyhow. This debacle reminds me of when OERM was trying to determine the exact shade of Santa Fe's green on that road's heavyweight cars. Two seperate cars, two seperate shades.

And for what it's worth, I'm running with Forest Green shingles, with brown drip edge that is a pretty close match to the trim color (No. 2 for all us rivet counters!)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SPT Co...roof shingle color? Severe Duty 05-18-2012 - 11:57
  Re: SPT Co...roof shingle color? Graham Buxton 05-18-2012 - 17:39
  Re: SPT Co...roof shingle color? John Sweetser 05-20-2012 - 16:27
  Re: SPT Co...roof shingle color? John Sweetser 05-20-2012 - 16:33
  Re: SPT Co...roof shingle color? Severe Duty 05-20-2012 - 22:54

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com