Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO
Author: Graham Buxton
Date: 06-01-2012 - 17:55

Quote:
LA Times
The California High-Speed Rail Authority on Tuesday named Jeff Morales, an executive for a contractor working on the bullet train project, as its chief executive, filling a position that has been vacant since early January. Morales, a former Caltrans director, had been working on the project as an executive of Parsons Brinckerhoff, the project manager for the rail authority.

The hiring of Morales appears to further strengthen the ties between the rail authority and its top contractor, Parsons Brinckerhoff. The contractor, which was a major contributor to the 2008 campaign to approve a $9-billion bond for the bullet train, has hundreds of employees assigned to the project, compared with fewer than 50 for the authority.

Outside activists say that although Morales may be a good choice, they are increasingly concerned about the tight relationship the authority has created with Parsons Brinckerhoff and the larger revolving door between the authority and its contractors. "Those lines are becoming more blurred every day," said Elizabeth Alexis, a co-founder of Californians Advocating Responsible Rail Design.

Political critics of the project see deeper problems.

"The rail authority claims it conducted a nationwide search just to end up with an executive from its biggest contractor?" asked state Sen. Doug LaMalfa (R-Richvale). "How can we expect this insider to provide an independent review of the project, when he helped write the plan that's already doubled the cost to taxpayers? It's difficult to believe that Mr. Morales can be counted on to drive a hard bargain with the company that has been paying his salary."

Full story here:
[www.latimes.com]

I left California several decades ago, so I don't mind watching this debacle from afar. http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg493/RaderSidetrack/eek.gif

Bob2, I don't believe we have heard from you recently. I'm sure you have an opinion ...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Graham Buxton 06-01-2012 - 17:55
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Richard Elgenson 06-01-2012 - 18:29
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Dr Zarkoff 06-01-2012 - 18:38
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO david vartanoff 06-01-2012 - 19:45
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Dr Zarkoff 06-01-2012 - 21:05
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Ames Oakes 06-01-2012 - 18:55
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Carol L. Voss 06-01-2012 - 21:48
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Alfred Doten 06-02-2012 - 07:57
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO curious 06-03-2012 - 07:18
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO Richard Kopf 06-03-2012 - 08:13
  Re: Parsons Brinckerhoff exec named new CA HSR CEO George Andrews 06-03-2012 - 09:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com