Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign
Author: Graham Buxton
Date: 10-12-2012 - 06:01

Speeder Kevin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Best guess is this is Genesee & Wyoming
> Incorporated, or this is what it once was called.
>
> However I am not convinced that the now known
> "GWI" was around back in 1975 when the older ACI
> bar coding technology was abandoned.

Genessee & Wyoming has been around, under that name, and one family ownership, for more than 100 years.

Quote:
GWRR
For much of its first century, Genesee & Wyoming was a 14-mile railroad serving a single customer in upstate New York. The company has since grown to be a leading owner and operator of short line and regional freight railroads serving more than 800 customers over nearly 10,000 miles of track in five countries.
The original 14-mile railroad is purchased out of bankruptcy by Edward L. Fuller and his financial partners to transport salt from their mine in Western New York State. The mine in Retsof, N.Y., would become the largest producing rock salt mine in the world, and the company became the International Salt Corporation. The railroad, renamed the Genesee and Wyoming Railroad Company (GWRR), continues as a separate, independent business.

Mortimer B. Fuller III, great grandson of Edward L. Fuller, purchases a controlling interest in GWRR – still a 14-mile railroad serving principally one customer.

A holding company, Genesee & Wyoming Industries, is formed and the GWRR merged into it to facilitate diversification of the business. The company enters the rail car leasing and management business primarily focused on covered hoppers to serve the salt industry.

Full history here: [www.gwrr.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Speeder Kevin 10-11-2012 - 22:42
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Graham Buxton 10-12-2012 - 06:01
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Berg 10-12-2012 - 08:04
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Berg 10-12-2012 - 08:21
  Re: Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign...help with mine? Severe Duty 10-12-2012 - 19:20
  Re: Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign...help with mine? Bo Peep 10-12-2012 - 19:54
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Severe Duty 10-12-2012 - 21:04
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Severe Duty 10-12-2012 - 21:18
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Berg 10-12-2012 - 23:45
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Berg Severe Duty 10-13-2012 - 08:53
  Re: AAR Rule 260 - Railroad reporting numbers / ACI sign Speeder Kevin 10-12-2012 - 21:28

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com