Re: Won't have to take that "last" Amtrak trip now
Author: Coal Slaw
Date: 11-07-2012 - 19:09

Prospects are a better for Amtrak with last night's outcome than they would have been with Romney/Ryan.

That said, the Passenger Rail Investment & Improvement Act (I may not have the title correct) requires states to assume responsibility for routes of 750 miles or less. Some states may be unwilling and unable to do so. If there are any shorter distance intercity trains on your to-ride list, you may not want to put off plans to ride them.

Domestic non-entitlement programs such as Amtrak, Big Bird, Great Lkes Research, and National Parks are not the cause of the deficit and should not bear the brunt of deficit reduction plans. However, if 2010 and 2011, is any indication, the GOP controlled house will try to eviscerate these programs.

Also troubleome is the fact is that with Amtrak-friendly Republicans like Kay Bailey Hutchinson no longer in Washington, there is less bi-partisan support for Amtrak.

If you feel that American needs a national rail system, the best thing to do is write your congressional representatives and Senators on the importance of maintaining, and in the future, expanding Amtrak.

To those who ask how you would pay for it, I would respond that I would gladly have my taxes increased for Amtrak.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Won't have to take that "last" Amtrak trip now. Pdxrailtransit 11-07-2012 - 07:05
  Re: Won't have to take that "last" Amtrak trip now. Drew Jacksich 11-07-2012 - 08:12
  Re: Won't have to take that "last" Amtrak trip now. Carnivore 11-07-2012 - 08:43
  Re: Won't have to take that "last" Amtrak trip now. Espee99 11-07-2012 - 09:59
  Re: Won't have to take that "last" Amtrak trip now. On the block to fund HSR. dsa 11-07-2012 - 17:15
  Re: Won't have to take that "last" Amtrak trip now Coal Slaw 11-07-2012 - 19:09
  Re: Speaking of Eating Big Birds? BOB2 11-07-2012 - 10:50
  Re: Speaking of Eating Big Birds? David Smith 11-07-2012 - 18:08
  Re: Speaking of Eating Big Birds? smitty195 11-07-2012 - 19:31
  Re: Speaking of Eating Big Birds? Coal Slaw 11-07-2012 - 20:31
  Re: Speaking of Eating Big Birds? OldPoleBurner 11-07-2012 - 21:45

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com