Re: Any good news on the W&I/PCC
Author: Dave Smith
Date: 11-17-2007 - 11:08

Regarding the prospect of moving clay over the ex-WI&M, keep in mind the tracks have been removed between Bovill and Harvard. Not sure if WATCO still owns the ROW, but I have been along most of that ROW and there are a few fences across it now. I'm not sure about the overpass near Yale.

That leaves the remaining rails from Bovill to St. Maries, aka the St Maries River Railroad owned and operated by Potlatch Corporation. However, that line is only operating from Clarkia to St. Maries. The remaining rails between Clarkia and Bovill are still there, but the crossing over Highway 3 has been paved over, and of course there are the little acts of nature that need to be fixed if action on the line is to be resumed (trees over the line, slight washouts, etc.)

Thus, it is my view that if clay mining operations do start up, they'll probably just truck a refined product down to the Port of Lewiston for trans-shipment by barge or rail to the coast.

My two cents: If indeed someone wanted to plunk down the necessary funds to rebuild a rail line to serve the Helmer clay mines, it'd make more sense to build that line from Bovill down to Lewiston than to rebuild the W & I for this reason - Not only could they move clay on that line, they could also move logs, semi-finished lumber, and wood chips for Potlatch between their St. Maries mill and their Lewiston pulp mill (all currently moving by truck). Maybe even move some grain from the Plummer/Manito area, maybe even get some general freight movement between Lewiston and Spokane just like in the P & L days! Who knows?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Any good news on the W&I/PCC Donald Duck 11-14-2007 - 10:11
  Re: Any good news on the W&I/PCC Tundra man 11-14-2007 - 18:20
  Re: Any good news on the W&I/PCC Dave Smith 11-14-2007 - 18:46
  Re: Any good news on the W&I/PCC slow learner 11-16-2007 - 22:14
  Re: Any good news on the W&I/PCC Dave Smith 11-17-2007 - 11:08
  Re: Any good news on the W&I/PCC slow learner 11-17-2007 - 21:58
  Re: Any good news on the W&I/PCC Dave Smith 11-18-2007 - 11:58

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com