Re: 1946 Derailment at Mojave Narrows - UP Train 223 with UP 835
Author: trainjunkie
Date: 02-01-2013 - 13:46

Very interesting. I posted this on trainorders a number of years ago and never got an answer. But this wreck may be a clue.

When I worked over Cajon there were "unofficial" or retired names for some of the locations that some of the old-heads still used. I'm trying to remember one of those names for the curve at MP 34 just RR east of East Victorville before Oro Grande. The curve is east of East Victorville (which we also called Leon) and east of the Mojave River bridge. It is the curve that can be plainly seen in the first photo in this set Pdxrailtransit posted on his blog.

The two names for this location I remember were "Parker Curve" and the "All Around". But there was also another name for it and IIRC, it was something similar to "Deadman's Curve" but that is kind of cliché and I don't think that was it. But it was something similar. Perhaps this wreck had something to do with it?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  1946 Derailment at Mojave Narrows - UP Train 223 with UP 835 Pdxrailtransit 02-01-2013 - 12:31
  Re: 1946 Derailment at Mojave Narrows - UP Train 223 with UP 835 E 02-01-2013 - 12:53
  Re: 1946 Derailment at Mojave Narrows - UP Train 223 with UP 835 trainjunkie 02-01-2013 - 13:46
  Mojave Narrows Four Decades Later Pdxrailtransit 02-01-2013 - 15:23
  Re: Mojave Narrows Four Decades Later Mike Lepker 02-03-2013 - 11:57

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com