More on those Oregon & Northwestern Alcos
Author: Jeff Moore
Date: 04-27-2013 - 17:20

Some months ago we had a few discussions on this board about Oregon & Northwestern Railroad Alco S-3s #101 and #102 and what role they played. I've been doing a fairly intense amount of research into this subject so far this year, and I wanted to get an update out.

First off, the record now is clear that the Alcos, especially the #102, saw extensive service on the logging railroad from Seneca east to Summit Prairie. At the time of the previous discussion I stated the Hines company had removed this railroad in 1956. Further research has determined the railroad lasted far longer than this. Hines started serious internal discussions over the future of this railroad in 1963. I've also seen a nice series of photographs of the #102 on this railroad dated April 8, 1966.

O&NW placed the #101 up for sale in the fall of 1964, after the railroad replaced it with AS-616 #2. Stanley & Moreau's book on the Central California Traction indicates that railroad negotiated to purchase the #101 in that time period, and that the O&NW had overhauled the locomotive in 1962 and used it sparingly since. Longview Fibre Company purchased the locomotive instead, probably in 1965.

The departure of the #101 left the #102 alone. As per the documents and discussions I've seen, the timber available to the logging railroad simply ran out, and with no further timber sales left to haul Hines probably abandoned the railroad in 1966 or 1967. The O&NW sold the #102 to the City of Prineville in late summer 1968 and replaced it with AS-616 #3.

I hope this helps and is of interest.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  More on those Oregon & Northwestern Alcos Jeff Moore 04-27-2013 - 17:20
  Re: More on those Oregon & Northwestern Alcos Tom Moungovan 04-27-2013 - 17:27
  Re: More on those Oregon & Northwestern Alcos OPRRMS 04-27-2013 - 20:10
  Re: More on those Oregon & Northwestern Alcos Ed Immel 04-28-2013 - 08:19
  Re: More on those Oregon & Northwestern Alcos Stan Patterson 04-28-2013 - 20:29

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com