Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat
Author: ex-BN
Date: 07-24-2013 - 21:33

"Effective immediately, the emergency directive requires all rail operators to:

Ensure that no locomotive attached to one or more loaded tank cars transporting dangerous goods is operated with fewer than two qualified persons on a main track or sidings;"

What does this have to do with securing an unattended train? An engineer with one locomotive and two cars (tank and buffer) can't be asked to tie one brake to hold the train?

"Ensure that no locomotive attached to one or more loaded tank cars transporting dangerous goods is left unattended on a main track;"

But the siding that leads to a main track is okay? Or a yard track? And what happens when there's a broken rail and the crew runs out of time? They can't tie down the train and be relieved?

"Ensure, within five days of the issuance of the directive, that all unattended controlling locomotives on a main track and sidings are protected from unauthorized entry into the cab;"

I won't explain it here but all the brakes on a train can be disabled without access to the cab of the controlling locomotive. The locked door will only prevent using the brake handle to release the air brakes. And I'm sure that keys (likely switch keys) will be available at most train shows.

"Ensure the directional controls, commonly known as reversers, are removed from any unattended locomotives, preventing them from moving forward or backward, on a main track or sidings;"

One wonders why they have been left in the cabs all these years. They're quite light and easy to slip into a pocket. I can't imagine an engineer that doesn't have a reverser in his pocket or grip at all times.

"Ensure that their company’s special instructions on hand brakes are applied to any locomotive attached to one or more cars that is left unattended for more than one hour on a main track or sidings;"

This really baffles me. One hour? Who ever heard of leaving a train unsecured and unattended for up to an hour? Not these days. In the U.S. the minute you walk away (and are too far to catch the train should it start moving) you are in violation of FRA rules.

"Ensure that, in addition to complying with their company’s special instructions on hand brakes referred to in the item immediately above, the automatic brake is set in full service position and the independent brake is fully applied for any locomotive attached to one or more cars that are left unattended for one hour or less on a main track or sidings."

Again, this sounds like: Up to one hour (as if we know exactly when the next crew will take over)--use air brakes only, over one hour tie handbrakes. I know that air brakes should hold a train for much more than an hour BUT as we've seen time and time again there are exceptions--especially in extremely cold weather.

Rules that are already in effect requiring hand brakes and a "release test" for unattended trains appear to solve the problem. Post a watchman if there is danger of vandalism.

But one think about all this that bugs me is that it applies only to trains carrying hazmat. So if a non-hazmat train is parked and then rolls away and collides with a train (parked or moving) that is carrying hazmat have we prevented an accident? Why not apply these new procedures to all trains on lines that carry hazmat?

I'm sure this is all a political move that will appear to the media and the public that "something has been done". And it has--rules have been written.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat OPRRMS 07-24-2013 - 09:20
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat Mr. Cynic 07-24-2013 - 16:57
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat SILCO 07-24-2013 - 18:05
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat George Andrews 07-24-2013 - 21:04
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat mook 07-24-2013 - 21:13
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat ex-BN 07-24-2013 - 21:40
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat ex-BN 07-24-2013 - 21:33
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat BOB2 07-26-2013 - 11:48
  Re: Transport Canada issues E. D. on trains carrying HazMat Agent 99 07-26-2013 - 12:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com