Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles
Author: Carol L.Voss
Date: 08-08-2013 - 18:27

Shoofly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read some 2010 Monterey Bay assessment documents
> of trying to establish a railex facility somewhere
> to service Salinas, Watsonville, and Monterey Bay.
> Whatever happened with that? I suppose it probably
> would've killed all the branchlines in the area.
> Then it still doesn't really reduce local truck
> traffic to any degree. Not knowing what shippers
> really desire in the area, one could guess maybe
> there is a little potential for door to door
> reefer rail service in the area. If SC&MB can get
> the right cooperation with UPRR, sales task force,
> and continued fuel price increases...it sounds
> reasonable...there again, drunk logic.
>
> My impression from reading various government and
> mass transit reports from the area, I get the
> sense there is a real desire for a cost effective
> transportation solution out of the area itself
> besides trucking everything to Delano.
>
> Has any more info come of the former Monterey
> Branch? I just see that the acquisition of the
> line has been completed...would there be any room
> for a freight operator should the opportunity
> present itself?
>
> Chris

The Monterey reports you read probably came from TAMC (TRANSPORTATION AGENCY OF MONTEREY COUNTY) who are the biggest dope smokers you ever met. The Monterey Branch was sold to Monterey County in 1999 and the UP ran to the bank high-fiving the sale of what I call the Brooklyn Bridge branch. It has to be TOTALLY rebuilt and the trestle bridge of the Salinas river needs to be totally replaced for earthquake retrofitting. All of the growers in the Salinas Valley ship their 7+million tons (yes, at least that much the last I looked) of produce out by TRUCK and all of the infrastructure which used to support the rail transport has been removed etc. One would think that a Delano-type operation here would make sense but----------------ain't gonna happen.
C.
PS---we are retired growers and understand shipping etc.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles New Felton 08-04-2013 - 08:46
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles George 08-04-2013 - 14:35
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles up833 08-04-2013 - 17:50
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Ooh Shiny 08-04-2013 - 22:09
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Correct 08-05-2013 - 14:55
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles nope 08-05-2013 - 15:40
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Yeah 08-05-2013 - 15:18
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles ghost 08-05-2013 - 19:29
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles George 08-05-2013 - 23:53
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Not a ghost 08-06-2013 - 07:20
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles George 08-06-2013 - 11:16
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles SCMBGM 08-06-2013 - 12:15
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Shoofly 08-06-2013 - 15:50
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles e 08-06-2013 - 16:57
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles ghost 08-06-2013 - 17:41
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles e 08-05-2013 - 19:42
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles I am no George 08-06-2013 - 17:07
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles KI6WDX 08-07-2013 - 10:27
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Cp4449 08-07-2013 - 09:38
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Shoofly 08-08-2013 - 02:10
  Re: Rails of debt: Parent company of local train operator struggles Carol L.Voss 08-08-2013 - 18:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com