Travels With Frank-2 (Pickering Lbr., Sierra & ATSF)
Author: Tom Moungovan
Date: 10-02-2013 - 14:28

When I stated in yesterdays post that it was Frank's first railroad trip, I should have clarified that it was his first trip by himself. He & his family are recorded as going on trips together as early as 3-20-40. That one was via the Santa Fe from Berkeley on number 58 behind engine 1369 to Richmond and back on number 61 behind engine number 9.

Continuing on with Frank's adventures:

In August of 1943, Frank had been working out in the woods on a Blister Rust control project. This was either on or adjacent to Pickering Lbr. Corp. timber holdings. When the work was done, Frank asked if he could travel back to town over the logging line and was given permission.

At 0900 on 8-29-43 (having recently turned 17), Frank rode Extra 1 West with 21 cars from Skull Creek headed to Standard. 1 was a 3T Heisler. At Grohl, the train added 3T Shay 6 as a helper. At Soap Creek, the train was reduced to 18 loads and caboose 01. When the train stopped for water and beans at Schoettgen Pass, Frank was allowed to eat in the cook house there. From Schoettgen Pass to Standard, Heisler 1 ran as light engine with Frank in the cab arriving Standard at 2130. I believe that he was given lodging for the night as he boarded Sierra RR X24W the next day to Jamestown. 24 was a big ex-Nevada Copper Belt 2-8-0. At Jamestown, he got on X36W and rode it to Oakdale, arriving at 1600. Engine 36 was an Alco 2-8-2. Later that evening, he boarded train 455 behind engine 1658, which I assume is ATSF and not SP. The next day, he rode Santa Fe train 23 behind 3449 (4-6-2) back home to Berkeley.

A couple of notes...Skull Creek was at Mile 60.0. Add in the approximate 5 miles of trackage rights over the Sierra between Ralph and Standard and that was a good 65 miles behind geared power that day.

I should also add that the train had to double the hill from Grohl to Soap Creek (Mile 51). At that point, they had 21 loads.

Caboose 01 was off the roster sometime around 1950 while the other 4 lasted late.

With the war on, film was scarce, but Frank did take 2 photographs that day, one each of Pickering engines 1 & 6. Last year, he offered me both negatives which I gratefully accepted. This was the kind of person that he was.

I try to keep erros/typos to a minimum. If you see anything suspect, do let me know, thanks.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Travels With Frank-2 (Pickering Lbr., Sierra & ATSF) Tom Moungovan 10-02-2013 - 14:28
  Re: Travels With Frank-2 (Pickering Lbr., Sierra & ATSF) J Mann 10-02-2013 - 14:49
  Re: Travels With Frank-2 (Pickering Lbr., Sierra & ATSF) Tom Moungovan 10-02-2013 - 15:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com