Re: Where did Dave Moffat think he was going?
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 02-27-2014 - 14:38

Along the old US 40, eh?
Moffat Tunnel West?

Assuming a route along the present US40 from Vernal, would have actually been viable as far as Heber Valley; a "Moffat Tunnel West" to cross the Wasatch would definitely not be needed.

As the tracks would have entered the south end of the Heber Valley on a northwesterly course, it's then a broad left turn towards the south west into the Provo Canyon, which is a fairly easy railroad grade through the Wasatch Front, all the way into the Utah and Salt Lake Valleys.

However, I'm not so sure the grades from Vernal to Heber Valley would have permitted any railroad route at all, let alone an economically viable one. Maybe that's where a "Moffat Tunnel West" would have helped, between Heber and Vernal. But it's been years since I was last there. And I've never really thought about it before, nor have I looked at it with any engineering detail.

Might be a fun exercise for an old retired nerd such as myself - that is, if I got bored enough - and had the time. Actually I suspect though, that the Denver & Salt Lake was nothing more than a front company for someone else (much like the Los Angeles & Salt lake was only a front for the Union Pacific); and never had any real intention of making Salt Lake city.

Perhaps one of you railroad historians could elucidate.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Where did Dave Moffat think he was going? Mike Stimpson 02-26-2014 - 12:58
  Re: Where did Dave Moffat think he was going? Matt Farnsworth 02-26-2014 - 13:35
  Re: Where did Dave Moffat think he was going? pdxrailtransit 02-26-2014 - 18:08
  Re: Where did Dave Moffat think he was going? WAF 02-26-2014 - 19:04
  Re: Where did Dave Moffat think he was going? pdxrailtransit 02-26-2014 - 19:12
  Re: Where did Dave Moffat think he was going? Rich Hunn 02-26-2014 - 19:19
  Re: Where did Dave Moffat think he was going? OldPoleBurner 02-27-2014 - 14:38

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com