Re: -Help Save the Delta Queen-Helps to actually read the post?
Author: BOB2
Date: 06-02-2014 - 14:20

It's always amazing how quickly one of these can turn into a ranting @#$%& fest?

I don't think this has anything to do with public money, but then, I actually read the whole thread, first.....so that might have given me that impression? It's about a modified regulation they need, not a subsidy.... or maybe, it's just me who got that?

I would think that they would want to limit this proposed exemption to historic or "grand-fathered" vessels, and require it for new vessels built or commissioned, after the date of effectiveness for these, not altogether unwise, new standards.

The cruise guys are actually against tightening up safety compliance, not surprising, given there recent spate of misadventures, and if they are going to get stiffed, they want the competition stiffed, too.

The cruise boys also have little to lose by stifling competition, because, as this last post noted, the tariff on the DQ was pretty pricy, and maybe they'd get some of that?

If that is the cruise industries secret to future success, it won't help much, as various sectors of tourism are struggling, with an aging US population, a broad swath of younger folks with smaller real disposable incomes, and major overbuilding of the large ships, to serve what may turn out to be significantly less passengers than were projected in the 1990's and 2000's.

I will support this effort, especially if we can get the DQ back, for overnight trips to Sacramento. I think that such an overnight service, with a stop for the wine train connection at Vallejo, would make a great tourist attraction for the Bay Area. That way they can poor Reynolds and I onto the boat after a hard day testing wine.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator David Dewey 05-31-2014 - 16:16
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator SP Kid 06-01-2014 - 11:00
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator Dr Zarkoff 06-01-2014 - 13:37
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator Alfred Doten 06-01-2014 - 16:06
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator Alfred Doten 06-03-2014 - 09:11
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator Dr Zarkoff 06-03-2014 - 10:35
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator WebDigger 06-01-2014 - 19:01
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator David Dewey 06-03-2014 - 10:24
  Re: OT, but steam---Help Save the Delta Queen-write your Senator Nudge 06-01-2014 - 20:02
  Re: -Help Save the Delta Queen-Helps to actually read the post? BOB2 06-02-2014 - 14:20
  Re: -Help Save the Delta Queen-Not a Subsidy request David Dewey 06-03-2014 - 10:17
  Delta Queen History (Link) WebDigger 06-03-2014 - 16:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com