Re: Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR
Author: SP5103
Date: 07-13-2014 - 20:39

I would guess this is Malarkey Wall's (sp?) engine. Was at Gales Creek, Oregon. I know he had it somewhere in the Vale/Ontario/Idaho region where some friends of his retubed it, only to find cracks in the firebox corners. IIRC it had a copper firebox. The boiler sat at Sumpter Valley for a while (circa 2006) where it was surveyed by Sumpter Valley Machine Works and determined to have had too many questionable repairs in previous years (steam dome was not vertical so boiler was shimmed sideways on frame, tube sheets were unusually thick and lacked inside bracing). Recommendation was made to obtain a new ASME/FRA boiler as the best option.

Wasatch Railroad Contractors then offered to repair the boiler, but after several months also found it unrepairable and talked them into a new boiler. http://wrrc.us/steam/ Is the small photo on bottom left of page of new boiler on trailer a new boiler for this? I would assume this is the new boiler on the frame, but can't be sure. This is a 36" gauge engine.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR Chimera 07-13-2014 - 13:16
  Re: Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR SP5103 07-13-2014 - 20:39
  Re: Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR Jim700 07-14-2014 - 19:02
  Re: Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR Chimera 07-14-2014 - 21:24
  Re: Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR SP5103 07-15-2014 - 08:42
  Re: Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR Jim700 07-15-2014 - 23:39
  Re: Mystery Locomotive, Vale OR Jim700 07-15-2014 - 20:45

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com