Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos?
Author: mook
Date: 09-07-2014 - 22:04

Bancroft et al. is a great idea, if you are at least moderately famous or have a collection that is (has had numbers of photos published, etc.), and can therefore sell a major library (e.g. Bancroft, CSRM, etc.) on accepting it. For most people, that won't work - there are only a handful of such libraries, and most don't have the staff to do the integration with their catalog & research systems for collections that drop from the sky. So what's Plan B for those of us that aren't famous?

Example: I was clearing out some of my old computer stuff and had the brilliant idea of offering it to the Computer Museum in Silicon Valley. All they ended up taking was one piece of software (important because it was the first commercially-available product of its type for Windows, complete copies are rare, and they didn't have one) and an unusual advertising brochure. I still have the rest, and may throw a floppy-disk-and-manual recycling party one of these days. Same goes with magazines on paper and any but the rarest books: zero (well, maybe scrap) value unless you can flog them on eBay.

For myself, not having a large, unusual, published, or well-organized collection, I'll probably just say to the extended family in the will: anybody want anything? What's left will most likely go to garbage. Too bad, but that's God's slide sorter.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? pdxrailtransit 09-06-2014 - 16:00
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? Anonymoose 09-06-2014 - 17:13
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? Martin Burwash 09-06-2014 - 20:19
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? Drew Jacksich 09-06-2014 - 23:47
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? douglasm 09-07-2014 - 05:18
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? Steve A 09-07-2014 - 05:52
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? Bancroftluva 09-07-2014 - 21:27
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? mook 09-07-2014 - 22:04
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? george manley 09-07-2014 - 22:42
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? Charles n 09-08-2014 - 14:30
  Re: Image identification...a preservation start Ken Middlebrook 09-08-2014 - 19:22
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? Dr Zarkoff 09-08-2014 - 17:28
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos? George Andrews 09-08-2014 - 18:59
  Re: Cautionary Tale, Who Will Inherit Your Photos?/Movies...KEEP IT! Peter D. 09-14-2014 - 22:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com