Re: Meteors, Satellites, Eclipses, oh my!
Author: almo
Date: 02-21-2008 - 21:06

I included a similar article to what I heard on the radio that morning. Updated articles say that there was no landing near Hatton, and that there was some "optical illusion" to where it first appeared to be headed to. Amazing, how the site could be pin-pointed to a location (even if general), only to truly be off the mark by 100 miles. Geez, I wish that I could be that wrong where I work.

almo

Meteor seen across wide swath of Pacific Northwest
By Nicholas K. Geranios

Associated Press Writer

Related

AP video | Raw video: Meteor sighting
SPOKANE — An apparent meteor streaked through the sky over the Pacific Northwest early today, drawing reports of bright lights and sonic booms in parts of Washington, Oregon and Idaho.

Although a witness reported seeing the object strike the Earth in a remote part of Adams County, in southeast Washington, it had not been found.

"I'm convinced it was a meteor," said Geoff Chester, spokesman for the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C. "It was a classic description of a fireball."

Chester speculated the meteor was the size of a big suitcase and had been orbiting the sun for millions of years before entering Earth's orbit.

The Federal Aviation Administration said a private pilot reported seeing the meteor hit the Earth in a burst of light near State Route 26 and the Lind-Hatton Road about 5:45 a.m.

The Adams County sheriff's office had no immediate reports of damage, injury or a meteor landing in the area, about 175 miles east-southeast of Seattle and 90 miles southwest of Spokane.

Chester said people commonly think they see a meteor hit or about to hit the ground, when it is nowhere close. Most meteorites that strike the Earth are never found, he said

"When you see objects like this in the sky your sense of scale is distorted," he said. "It's a common optical illusion."

A number of pilots reported seeing the meteor streaking through the sky from Boise, Idaho, into Washington state, the FAA said.

Surveillance cameras in the region captured a ball of light in the sky and then a flash illuminating the early morning darkness.

Television stations in Spokane reported getting viewer calls from across Washington state and north Idaho, parts of Oregon and southeastern British Columbia, starting about 5:30 a.m.

The callers said it resembled summer lightning, a rocket, a satellite or an exploding transformer. A viewer from Walla Walla, about 55 miles south-southeast of the reported crash site, said she heard a sonic boom and felt a shock wave not long after seeing the streaking meteor.

The East Oregonian of Pendleton, Ore., said people in that city reported hearing a sonic boom after seeing the sky light up.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Meteor Takes Aim At Hatton almo 02-19-2008 - 22:05
  Re: Meteor Takes Aim At Hatton Gary A Dunn 02-20-2008 - 06:08
  Re: Meteor (???) Takes Aim At Hatton Bruce Kelly 02-20-2008 - 08:00
  Re: Meteor (???) Takes Aim At Hatton hepkema 02-20-2008 - 12:43
  Re: Meteor (???) Takes Aim At Hatton Bruce Kelly 02-20-2008 - 14:07
  Re: Meteor Takes Aim At Hatton douglasm 02-20-2008 - 17:27
  Re: Meteor Takes Aim At Hatton Butler 02-21-2008 - 05:14
  Re: Meteor Takes Aim At Hatton (Empire Theater) Gary A Dunn 02-21-2008 - 05:58
  Re: Meteors, Satellites, Eclipses, oh my! Bruce Kelly 02-21-2008 - 06:56
  ? for Gary douglasm 02-21-2008 - 15:28
  Re: ? for Gary Gary A Dunn 02-23-2008 - 05:48
  Re: Meteors, Satellites, Eclipses, oh my! Nevada Quakes Ross Hall 02-21-2008 - 17:24
  Re: Meteors, Satellites, Eclipses, oh my! Nevada Quakes Jim 02-21-2008 - 17:34
  Re: Meteors, Satellites, Eclipses, oh my! almo 02-21-2008 - 21:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com