Re: Study finds good news-then?
Author: mook
Date: 11-18-2014 - 08:29

Thanks Bob. For the math-challenged (or those who just have other things to do), that 5% trucks number (looks small, doesn't it?) is 14350 trucks per average day. Many days are higher (I think those have been the days I was there) and some lower. Also, some truckers sit out the peak traffic periods then jump in, so the off-peak times can have many more trucks. Drives traffic and emission modelers nuts, not to mention those who (mistakenly) thought traffic would move faster in the middle of the day; steadier, perhaps, but not faster.

That's a big number if you want to talk diesel emissions - even 5000 trucks a day is considered a problem in some situations, and that considering that trucks have been on an emission control diet for longer than trains. But it's still way below I-710 and its inland connections.

I don't remember the details, but I think there was a commitment some years ago by all the railroads in the LA Basin to clean up locomotives, not just Metrolink. Metrolink of course being public transit has a political need to do it, more and faster. But the others have been doing things like the genset takeover for locals, moving the newest locomotives into the area, and the like. Many years ago, they were even trying alternative fuels (I seem to recall a couple of C or LNG locomotives wandering around; don't know if they're still there). You won't find many "honorary steam locomotives" in the diesel ranks any more, at least in LA, and while the emissions from the RR system there are still significant (though way below freeways in general) they are much lower than even 10 years ago.

Good job. Now keep it up.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard Film at 11 11-17-2014 - 10:12
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard mook 11-17-2014 - 11:38
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard theconductor 11-18-2014 - 17:52
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard mook 11-19-2014 - 08:46
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard BOB R 11-17-2014 - 15:35
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard >:p 11-17-2014 - 15:46
  Re: Study finds good news-then? BOB2 11-18-2014 - 06:46
  Re: Study finds good news-then? mook 11-18-2014 - 08:29
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard Taxpayer 11-18-2014 - 07:53
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard Mute Moose 11-18-2014 - 13:09
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard Bob Renner 11-18-2014 - 16:15
  Re: Study finds declining air pollution from Metrolink maintenance yard Taxpayer 11-24-2014 - 07:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com